Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Whats the difference between Canister and BIO wheel Filters
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:04    Post subject: Whats the difference between Canister and BIO wheel Filters Reply with quote

Whats the difference between Canister and BIO wheel Filters?
What is your opinon about these filters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, someone else can get technical for you but just a simple answer:
Canister filters sit under your tank and are, IMO, much better at filtering a tank. They are generally used on 40plus gallon tanks.
Bio wheel filters are also good. They hang on the back/top of your tank. They are generally used for smaller tanks. I have heard of more problems with bio wheels than just regular HOB (hang on back) filters. I've never used a biowheel so I can't personally address that. I have HOB and canister filters.
I've heard of people using them in conjunction with each other also.
This is one of those 'personal preference' questions. My personal preference is a canister filter except for the smaller tanks.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with bio-wheels is that they ctuck from time to time. It is useless if it does that.

HOB filter can be easily serviced, you don't need to open up the filter to do tha. The down side is that it has much less filter media, which means the capacity of such system is limited, so used in small tanks are good.

Cannister filters have large volume of space for filters. They can be set up for tanks over 100 g without any problem. The problem is that it is harder to service it. You have to take it apart in order to change the media.

Hope this helps.
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting a Fluval 305 Canister Filter for a 45 gallon aquarium.
What kind of media does that need?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many spaces there are in that filter but you want some type of sponge or floss, some bioballs to grow beneficial bacteria and (if you don't have live plants) you could put in some carbon. I don't use carbon in my tanks unless I want to give them a 'special' cleaning and then only leave it in for a couple of days. I use a sponge and filter floss along with the bioballs in my Fluval.
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

innatrance4556 wrote:
I was thinking of getting a Fluval 305 Canister Filter for a 45 gallon aquarium.
What kind of media does that need?

the fluval filters come with everything you need to get started. inside the box it will tell you other types of media that you can purchase and what tray to place it in. if you look at the side of the fluval media boxes at your lfs, look on the back or side of the 305 media boxes and it shows you what tray to use.

fluval is very easy to work with, you raise the lever, turn it off, unplug it from the canister and tank it to a sink to open it. when you put it back on you just plug the hoses back in, lower the lever wait for it to fill up and turn it back on!

so simple, hardest part is setting it up for the first time cause you have to cust the hoses to the correct length.

spend the money and get one, I love it, and it get rid of the mess on the back of the tank!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 304 and 404, which are the older versions of 305 and 405. They both are good. I did have to replace the impeller on the 404 since it was making too much noise.

You need to put in some fine floss in the media to catch the small particles in the tank. You can get this at PetSmart or something like that.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: