Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What to get next?? (pics)
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:27    Post subject: What to get next?? (pics) Reply with quote

Hi again! I have a 75 gallon tank thats been up and running for a couple months. I've been slowly stocking it, but don't know what else I want. I was hoping you guys could help me figure it out.

tank specs:
75 gallon, planted, basic gravel substrate, pH 7.7, 2 HOB filters Cascade 300 and Cascade 150 (going to upgrade the 150) I don't know exact hardness but its medium to hard.

Fish:
1 Angel
5 gourami (Trichogaster Trichopterus)
3 mollys
2 molly fry
in a week or so I will getting some ottos I think

The molly fry are in my other aquarium with two panda cories until they are big enough to escape the angels mouth Wink
I did't want to keep cories in there because the other fish eat all their food before they could have more than two bites.

I was thinking about loaches until I read that they are fin nippers... maybe a rainbow shark? Anyway enjoy the pics and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks

Whole tank:

Angel:

3 of the 4 females, gold male in top corner:

female molly and snail:
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really figured out how to take good pics yet. They do look dull in these pictures but are acually pretty colorful bright blue and gold. Your right though some more color would be nice... The male Gourami has started building a bubble nest! I guess the holidays put him "in the mood" lol!
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has much better color Wink
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow that
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a large school of Red Phantom Tetras? They would add great color and tend to use the entire aquarium. And they're too large to be eaten by your Angel.
Also, I love by Black and Yellow Kuhli loaches. They don't fin nip and are great entertainment to watch. I will add that many people say they never see theirs - I see mine all the time. I think having lots of hiding spaces actually makes them feel more secure so they are out and about everyday. They should be in schools of three or more though.
Mollys are considered more brackish water fish. You may not want to add anymore since they seem to do better/live longer with salt in their water. If you want the bright colors of Mollys you might want to try Platies instead.
Just some ideas - have fun deciding. Glad you're doing your homework first.
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

get 5 or 6 male cherry barbs....
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serkan wrote:
I will only have 2 silver dollar and 2 oscars. I think I will get some of the same fish you have..

Thanks. I would definatly recommend these fish, but no way with ocars. To big and aggressive for these fish.

Cinder, thanks for the suggestions. I thought about kuli loaches, but they are so small and like to hide I didn't think id see much of them. Will deffinatly think about the tetras. The red would really stand out with all the plants. Or what about Serpae Tetra? I like the looks of those too
I've read so much contradicting information about mollies and salt Confused . After sorting though it all and going form my experince it seems that the short fin molly doesn't really need any salt. The sailfin on the other hand does... Could the other fish I have do OK with with a little salt? loaches don't tolerate it if I remember, but the ones I currenty have? I could move them back to the 30 gallon... I kinda want to just have the one fish tank though.

Are cherry barbs big enough to be with an Angel?

Thanks, Dave
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure they are. I'm so darn jeslous for your bubble nest as I just got a male and female blue gourami and hoping they will breed some bosman rainbow fish would be an exellent addition IMO. good luck with the tank and it looks great!
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stickman! I looked into your suggestion of the rainbows. I really like the looks of them, and they would do great in my water conditions. I'm going to take a look at what my LFS keeps in stock. I like the Boeseman's Rainbowfish like you suggested, and I like the Neon (Dwarf) Rainbowfish. I think they would be cool because I could get a larger school. From what I've read they seem really active. Will they stress out my angel?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: