Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae Pic of my 10 G, solutions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)12:29    Post subject: Algae Pic of my 10 G, solutions? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

last month I had to take an emergency trip and force to leave my tanks, I ask someone to come to my house and feed the fish, no fish was lost; however when I came back my 10 Gallon tank was showing an algae problem and it was so bad out of control that I had to do a mayor water change and do some cleaning. The algae still growing. I added some pictures for you to look at it. I believe that is some kind of Diatoms. I am planning to add some ottos, do they eat this type of algae? Please help I happen to like this tank very much.

The parameters are:

pH 6.1
KH 30 ppm
PO4 0.25 ppm
DIY CO2

qwerty1291
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like blue-green algae. I think otto's will eat that. I have a few and they eat mostly green and brown algae. they won't eat green spot algae though because its too hard. I think you might have to throw those plants away they look really engulfed. Otto's might help though.
ngocthach1130
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewww my fish tank just started to have the same thing. I notice some otos I bought have ich so I crank up the temp and that algae just start to appear out of nowhere. I also have problem with green water. I've done a 50% water change just now and planning to do a black out. My otos doesn't seem to enjoy that blue green algae at all. Am I right the blue green is the one that branches right? Look like tree branch where it keep splitting up unlike the hair one where it just grow longer
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had BGA (blue-green algae) ever since I got into this hobby. I've asked so many people for help with this issue and thanks to plantbrain, a few months later I finally have it under control.

I've never heard of otto's eating this type of bacteria.

I also have not heard of this cyano-bacteria being affected by temperature.

I do, however, know that a 3-day blackout will weaken the bacteria to about 90%-98%. There will be lots of green string pieces floating in the water so you'll need to do a real solid water change immediately.

Then in order to ensure BGA does not get a stronghold again, you need to maintain something close to a 1:16 ratio of phosphate:nitrate. Some will say .5:5 ratio for phosphate to nitrate also.

aquariaplants.com is a great source of information for me.
aquariumpoetry.blogspot.com has great photos and solid info about algae.

Most importantly though, I followed this article to help me through the battle:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquarium/redfield_eng.htm
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snails will eat the stuff. Also injecting co2 will help the plants and remove some of the algae.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also fought with blue/green algae. I've never seen an Oto eat it - they generally stick to brown algae only.
There's really good advice already given but I'll add my two cents since I've delt with it too.
You need to cut out all the affected areas and clean the glass then keep up with regular (weekly) water changes. I have found that the regular, 40%, water changes keeps this stuff away for me. I do have a high phosphate issue at times here (I'm on well water) so I think that may have something to do with my problem as well.
Guido Netto
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue-green algae is well as everybody knows a kind of bacteria, and they are toxic, snails also won't eat them I don't know any creature that eats BGA.. blue-green algae is also the only aquarium algae with a distinctive smell, kinda like the smell of wet dirt and it can be very strong like the smell of a swamp.

it has the classic signs of BGA in your pics, the slimy coat on plants and the front glass colonized slightly right above the substrate.

its not that hard to get rid of it. try this topic
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=32525&highlight=bluegreen+algae

Smile
ngocthach1130
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm guess that's my problem there. I rigged up a Co2 diffuser using those gravel vacuum and have it run of the canister filter. Doing so cause the filter at the end which keep the co2 from being expel out to clog up with debris. Also the yeast reactor is annoying with uncontrollable bubble rate. So I took it apart and wait till I have enough cash for pressurize. Guess I'll do a black out and then work on getting that pressurize system asap.
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebelspark wrote:

it has the classic signs of BGA in your pics, the slimy coat on plants and the front glass colonized slightly right above the substrate.

its not that hard to get rid of it. try this topic
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=32525&highlight=bluegreen+algae

Smile

Rebel,

thanks for your help, I'll do what the link say. I want to believe that the blackout will not affect my fish?
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now listen closely.
that isnt algae its a bacteria. the blackout will further weaken your plant that are currently under attack. Some strains can even affect the fish.
now its very simply to cure. go out and buy a pack of e.m erythromycin aquarium pharmaceuticals makes it easy to get. then just add 2.5 ml of it per 40 gallons do this the first and the second day then 50% water change this is to remove all the dead slime. then dose one more time for good faith and keep an eye on the amonia and nitrites and thats it man.
enjoy!!!

blackouts cause the plants to turn to there reserves this process can take time then when turning the lights back on they go back to normal photo. this will thin and weaken your plants.
110 watts power compacts
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: