Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gourami not eating
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)8:20    Post subject: Gourami not eating Reply with quote

help. I have a gourami which is so anaeroxic. its so thin I could almost see its bone.. and its eyes are both sunken inside its socket. I tried throwing food right in front of it, but it doesn't seem interested at all.. and it hasn't been eating for a few days. but it's still swimming around normally just that it's not as active as the rest of the other fishes. what could be the problem?

my tank is a L 30 x W 18 x H 22

bioload are 5 dwarf gourami and 2 tetras.
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be:

1) it has parasites

2) its being bullied too much, since thats too small a tank to be keeping so many dwarf gouramis. Are they all males? IMO keep maybe 1 in a tank that size

3) it thinks its fat (don't keep a mirror near the tank)

4) the water is too dirty (ie too much nitrates/nitrites/ammonia)

What is the filtration of the tank, the temperature, the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm what sort of parasites?

and no it's not being bullied in anyway. and yes all of them are males. but I have them for almost 4 mths and nothing happened until I bought this new gourami (not eating) not long ago.

the filtration is a OHF that comes with the tank itself. filter media are cotton wool and ceramic rings.

just did a WC about a week ago. ammonia reading shown in my seachem ammonia alert is safe. I'm not so sure about nitrite.
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry I think I misread the dimension in cm, not inches.

Its probably because he is the "new kid" on the block, so the social pecking order is already settled, and he isnt strong enough to cause a change. This happened to me too.

Is this the tank you have been cycling or a different one? Check the nitrate levels. I'm pretty sure its about the social pecking order though
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with one of my koi once. It wouldn
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyCalibre wrote:

Its probably because he is the "new kid" on the block, so the social pecking order is already settled, and he isnt strong enough to cause a change. This happened to me too.

Is this the tank you have been cycling or a different one? Check the nitrate levels. I'm pretty sure its about the social pecking order though

this is another tank. not the one I'm cycling with prawns.
but wait... I thought gouramis are supposed to be hardy and peaceful fishes???
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf gourami are aggressive towards their own kind. Larger number like you have should negate that, since the aggression is spread. The newcomer wouldnt have been welcome though, since the social order is already established.

Most gourami species arent as peaceful as most people think
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyCalibre wrote:

I'm pretty sure its about the social pecking order though

hey yes I think u're very right. I just observed my tank for half an hour after adding in 4 barbs, (not sure what species they are, but they look like tiger barbs, only that 2 of them are pink and the other 2 orange in color.) the gouramis starts chasing or nipping at them whenever the barbs swam close to them, the gouramis has become so territorial not like the first time I bought them and they seem so shy and peaceful.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: