Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
dwarf checkerboard cichlid
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Vancouver
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)18:55    Post subject: dwarf checkerboard cichlid Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with these fish ? I just bought 3 & put them in a well planted 15 gallon tank . In the Romer/Baensch dwarf cichlid atlas , it says that they occur in huge schools in clear water , not blackwater . Mine aren't schooling & appear to have set up territories in the tank . Do you think if I added a couple of more they might form a shoal ? About the only that time they're together is at feeding time . Otherwise , the largest one kind of flares at & chases the other 2 away .

So far they're eating frozen bloodworms & small chunks of frozen mysis shrimp , but they just spit out flake food . They're also wild caught fish .
harish
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it lyretailed or swordtailed??????
those fishes r tough 2 keep,requires the best
water quality and make sure your tank is free from nitrates and
is soft and acidic
try adding a few more fishes
those r fun fishes 2 keep

good luck
CraZy_RaM
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dicrossus maculatus or D. filamentosus , both very nice fish and can be sensitive to water parameters, as previously mentionned they like soft acidic water. There is certain bias in the population in that there are usually a lot more males than females, having the luck of choosing 2 young males when I bought them , I can assure you they are not schooling fish, my dominant male has taken over the entire tank to himself and likes to make sure everyone remembers that and there are quite a few "fights for territory. Wild caught fish tend to be a bit more sensitive when it comes to water parameters, make sure to keep your water quality very high free from contaminants. As far as feeding goes my fish are pigs , they eat everyting and anything and always have, from live food to flakes, tough I've heard of some picky fish that required live or frozen at the beginning. A small school of tetra may also reduce their stress level at first (cardinals work nicely for me).
Edit: slight typo on my part, more females than males !

Last edited by CraZy_RaM on 2006.12.26(Tue)11:17; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies . They are dicrossus filamentosus , but I can't determine their sex yet . Luckily the water around here is extremely soft & slightly acidic . I think I'll pop buy the store on Boxing Day & see if they have anymore left .
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: