Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
marine glo light scares fish
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)16:45    Post subject: marine glo light scares fish Reply with quote

I just got a marine glow light bulb to compliment another light in my 29 gallon setup (I like the blue glow)... though I did not like having 2 light fixtures on top of that tank so I moved the marine glow to my "dark tank" which is a 20 gallon long that houses about 20 pristella tetras and a large featherfin catfish. as soon as I turned the light on, the tetras swam to the bottom and hid among the plants also the catfish went nuts (seemed happy for once). this is the only light this tank has and I wondering if anyone has had a similar expeience ( I know that the marine glow bulb is for corals and such I just didn't expect that reaction) I will probably use the MG bulb as an accent on a larger tank later.....
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I've replaced the marine glow bulb w/ the cheapie that came w/ the fixture... funny thing is the tetras are still scared of it Laughing my lfs said he had no clue either, except that they were used to no/low lite and this is a shock to them... I pretty much agree.

I think that they may also need more accessible shelter, though I've never seen a tetra in a cave..............
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use only fluorescent bulbs that are labeled for freshwater, not marine. The Coralife brand bulbs are very nice in my opinion. I really like the light these bulbs produce and I have experimentd with the different ones available since starting a planted tank and they all seem to be more fish-friendly (as in fish not hiding as much).
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny because half of these tetras are used to this exact same bulb I'm using now (not a marine bulb)... I think it may have to do w/ hiding spaces, as there aren't enough in the tank
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: