Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Being Bullied
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)16:35    Post subject: Being Bullied Reply with quote

I have a 75cm reef tank with 2 occelaris clownfish about 3cm long (ones slightly smaller), 1 Flame Angel about 6cm long and 1 Dusky Wrasse about 7cm long, (in order of introduction). This morning I couldn't find the smaller clownfish, but then it swam up from the back through the rocks. As soon as it got into the open the larger Clownfish started chasing and biting it. The smaller clownfish is now hiding with some sections missing from its fins, mostly its dorsal fin. I also noticed the Wrasse was attacking it too. I'm not sure what to do, should I get rid of a fish (sell it to the local p.s) or put one of them in a seperate tank. I have a tank that can be used, a bit smaller then 2ft, but it is not set up. It has a heater and a small internal filter. Should I change the water in the main tank (which I did not so long ago, so it should be relativly clean with low nitrates ect.) and put the water taken out into the hospital tank and put the small clownfish into that? Except I was thinking, once it recovers and I put it back into the main aquarium, will it just get attacked again? Also I don't know if the clownfish are male or female. I noticed that the smaller clownfish is still coming up to the suface to eat.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)10:07    Post subject: Re: Being Bullied Reply with quote

flame_angel11 wrote:
should I get rid of a fish (sell it to the local p.s) or put one of them in a seperate tank. I have a tank that can be used, a bit smaller then 2ft, but it is not set up. It has a heater and a small internal filter. Should I change the water in the main tank (which I did not so long ago, so it should be relativly clean with low nitrates ect.) and put the water taken out into the hospital tank and put the small clownfish into that? Except I was thinking, once it recovers and I put it back into the main aquarium, will it just get attacked again? Also I don't know if the clownfish are male or female. I noticed that the smaller clownfish is still coming up to the suface to eat.

Hmm, so the clown and the wrasse are both hitting it. Yes, you need to remove the small clown asap, and yes, it will likely get nailed again if you put it back. Set up the QT and make sure you introduce an active bio filter to reduce the chance of an ammonia spike. Leave this hospital tank running 24/7/365 with the little beat up clown as a permanent resident.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does anyone know why the bigger clown and the wrasse (mostly the clown) would have just started to attack the smaller clown all of a sudden? They weren't doing this before.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish, like all living things, are a bit unpredictable.
It is not unheard of for aggression to suddenly occur even among specimems that have been living peacefully together for years. Once it starts it usually gets worse.
That's where the husbandry comes in... it's good that you noticed before it was too late!
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

U can also try what I am doing right now with one of my clarky. I had one clarky clown fish for approx 4,5 months and then last week I add an other one. The older one that is pretty well establish will normaly defend its territory wich is what he have done.

It is not in the same context but what I am proposing u to do is to take a container like an ice cream container, that u can't see trought it, pierce it every where but, pierce it by the inside to the outside. Try to isolate your clown under it for approx 1 week. The other one will get more confidate in his territory and the other one, when he get out of the container willl be like Ho. I'm not even in my territory! So maybe hes gonna calm down, or maybe not!

As I said, mine was only defending his territory but urs are in the same tank for a while and it just start doing this. Maybe s not gonna work for u but! It dosnt cost a thing but an ice cream container Razz

(Sorry about my english, I usually speak french so Razz)
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: