Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cherry Barb Behavior
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)11:04    Post subject: Cherry Barb Behavior Reply with quote

Can anyone here tell me what it looks like when a female cherry barb lays eggs and the male fertilizes them? I have observed my female moving through a bunch of hornwort very slowly, making jerky movements, with the male close behind. Are their eggs large enough to see? I just put this particular plant in yesterday so I can't tell if there are eggs on it now or if they are just bubbles. I'm sorry, I don't have a camera good enough to take pics or I would!

Thanks!
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody here knows about this?
spacecadet
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8 cherry barbs, 5 females & 3 males. The one largest male is the dominate one that does all the breeding. The male and a female will go to the far side of the tank away from the other barbs to spawn among the plants. They'll do a sort of quick hug and shimmy, turning their bodies and I have seem what looked like the release of several tiny eggs at a time that usually float away and settle in gravel and among live plants. But I have never seen any fry as of yet. Either the water current prevents proper fertility or the eggs fungus or fry get eaten. Rolling Eyes I have noticed many times that male would patrol the spawning area keeping the others away from the area, except for the angels. They go where they want to go. Or least it appears to me that is what he's doing. He keeps all the others at one end of the tank. He's like a sheep dog keeping them herded to one end of the tank. Poor fish! He's either maybe protecting the eggs or saving them for himself.
The eggs are smaller than angel or cory eggs from what I have observed. I can't imagine any fry surviving in the tank with the other adult fish in there.

I have 5 gold barbs in there also, plus a pair of angels and 4 albino cories I raised from egg stage, and one albino bristlenose pleco.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: