Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Football vs. Rugby
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in football you have an intangible.......of knocking someone out! Very Happy
MagnumT333
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

And chanting FIRE MILLEN!
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me footy is a far more stratigic game then american style football, unless your refering to the coaches, but I am refering to the players. in american style football its run this rout, do this play, its all set there for you, you just have to do it. in footy you actually have to make decisions for yourself. no one is telling you, go into man coverage, run this post rout. you have to take it upon yourself to do whats in the best interest of the team to get a shot at scoreing. and yeah, american football is a rough sport, but have you never been stepped on the shoulder by a kleit with no padding? hurts like hell, but I kept going. I played a whole game with blood running down the back of my leg.

and for any buffy the vampire slayer fans out there there is this lovely little quote by Giles
"for a coutry which prides itself on it virility why do they need to put on 100lbs of padding to play rugby" OK so the quote probably isn't exactly correct, probably been a good year sence I saw that eppisode but the point is there, rugby is a much more physicly demanding sport, but without all the fancy pads.
I still like I better though Razz
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be honest with you guys (after all, youve all been honest with me, no matter how stupid the question Laughing ), I don't know if theres plays in rugby. From what I see/think/figure there is no plays. If someones "down", buy American football rules, you can just get up and keep going. I don't like that at all. It kinda takes the fun out of the game.

And can you pass in rugby? In American football, I prefer runnning plays, but football still wouldnt be the same without passing.

Plus, with American football, you have morons/show-offs like T.O.

There always entertaining, even if you don't like them. Rolling Eyes
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you quite understand. Originally, American football didn't have as many pads as it does today. 'But why would they add more pads?', you ask. It's because back then dozens of people died due to lack of protection. Someone try to find the statistics on the football player death rates back in the early half of the 20th Century.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CCS"]It's because back then dozens of people died due to lack of protection.[quote]

Oh, remember, always wear protection. Wink
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah back in the day major head traumas and what not were far more comon. I never said they shouldn't wear pads. but back then hockey players wore little to no pads, baseball players didn't wear helmets (includeing the catchers). things were differnt back then. medical technoligy has advanced and we now know what causes what and how to protect ourselves from said injuries. but you can't compare american football of the early 1900's to rugby of 2006.
MagnumT333
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Super Bowl, most televisied watched event in the world.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, the Olympics is the most watched televised event. Also, I will never recognize "footy" as the best sport. Here, the term "soccer player" is an insult. I'm not making this up.
MagnumT333
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Canada, eh. I remember moving there and joining the football team. Now the goal post in front of the end zone I could live with. But it was the 3 downs I could never get used to.
"HEY GET OFF THE FIELD FOR CYRING OUT LOUD!!! IT'S 3RD DOWN!!!"
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: