Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A sad sad day
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)19:56    Post subject: A sad sad day Reply with quote

Today I was at wal-mart browsing their fish stuff since I needed stuff for a diy canister filter and co2. While there I saw theese little tanks. They were 6 inch tall bow fronts no more than 6x3x2 for bettas. This made me want to cry that they put fish in stuff that small to live. On top of it being cramped it came with plants to take up more room. The saddest thing wasnt that I saw a couple buy a green spotted puffer and one of those tanks. I realy hope they don't put the little puffer in the tank. The puffer isnt going to make it in that tank, and probly won't make it in a large tank as it was caught improperly. The retarded empliyee just scooped the puffer up and of course it puffed air........ I was to angry to say anything and felt like punching all three people.

heres one of them

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8539

omg this is a qoute from the discription

Quote:
They can be stacked atop each other or placed side by side to promote Betta flaring.

Can something be done to stop companies from making stuff like this. If possible we need to start a petition or do something to make this kind of tank illegal. This is animal cruelty
flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boycott walmart at all costs for a wide variety of reasons and this is just one more thing to add to my list.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they have those at the Walmart here too =( One time I took all of them and hid them in a bin in the housewares section xD
Barracuda324
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats better than whats at my LFS Crying or Very sad they have betta ""tanks"" that are 3x3x3 Crying or Very sad

WHO DEY, WHO DEY, WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT THEM BENGALS?!
Guido Netto
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in brazil, I just got a job at a famous fish store that is a chain and have many stores, in 10 days of work I could see that at least 60% of ALL the selling the store does are bettas or at least related to betta, its not a bad store, it promotes fishless cycling and respect to pH needs of the fish. BUT, they have horrid, and very VERY cheap "kit" betta + bowl + food, and its a 700ml!!!!!!! bowl with sand and fake plants to take LOTS of space, I mean, god!! my 3 years old male betta that I keep in a 10G tank got so big I'm sure that bowl would be so cramped for him he would have to bend his body sideways a little to even FIT in such small cage!! I can't take it, it hurts to see people selling, they are so small that even non-aquarist people just wandering around asking things think its too small! but some don't, and they buy it... I feel real bad about those fish and whenever asked by costumers if its OK to keep a healthy fish all its lifespan there, I say bluntly that its NOT proper. I just hope I lose my job becoz of this hehe
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thst I just sick! the worest part is that they want to promote beta flaring! I sorta did the same thing as you Danikins and hid them in the gaming section. when I was leaving the store they put out one of the mesages to restock the shelves and I felt like doing it all over again.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me so mad! These stupid companies just keep pumping out smaller and smaller tanks at every turn! Especially tiny tanks that no matter where the poor boy turns, the only thing he can face is either his reflection on another side of the tank or another male altogether. ;_; Frikkin Penn-Plax, has this Bow front thing, a DOUBLE bow front thing, AND a "Betta Condo." Ugh! >_< I might have to start that practice of removing them and hiding them in a bin in housewares, Danikins. xDD That's brilliant.

I'll actually hang around the fish department at Walmart and advise people on what to buy for their bettas (Or a lot of fish there, for that matter). The department people just stand around completely clueless, like, "Yea okay whatever listen to her." I also occasionally rescue Walmart bettas, and put a stack of 'How to Properly Care for Your New Betta' sheets on the shelves. I don't know if the department guys can leave them there, but I know at least a few people get them. It's not much, but I know it's better than what it would have been otherwise. =\
RubberDuck
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you guys just elaborate and complain in a thread that is already open?

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=39657&highlight=betta
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=39302&highlight=betta
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=38865&highlight=betta
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: