Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cat food for Fish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
RubberDuck
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)19:48    Post subject: Cat food for Fish? Reply with quote

Can I feed my fish dry catfood? I was looking at a peice of cat food today and it looks a lot like fish food. After thinking about it I'm willing to bet that cat food and fish food have close to the same stuff in it. I'm not sure on any of this, I'm going to do some more research. What do you all think. I already fed my oscars a handfull and they ate it. I also gave a few peices to my cichlid tank and they nibbled at it. (the bits are to big for them to eat whole)
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive I have heard of people doing this before but I don't think it is such a good idea. Cat food is made for cats and has things in there for the cats health and nouirshment and fish food if for the fish. Although cat food may have some of the same things as fish food it also has things to make the fur shiner and I don't think this stuff would work for the scales of the fish. If your going to use it only use it as a treat as this stuff is not ment for fish and who knows mabye you could end up with a cat fish.... that wasn't really funny was it?
RubberDuck
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I understand where you are coming from. I am aware that cat food is for cats and fish food for fish. I went to drsforstersmith.com and looked up cat and fish food. If you click on more info while looking at a food product a little chart comes up telling you the crutial information. Percents of crude fat, protein, fiber, the moisture content, etc. I found that cat food is nearly the same as fish food. I'm going to look around and try to find a generic brand that does not have any extra coat enhancement chemicals in them.

Does anyone know if fish food has fish in it?
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrimp pellets have shrimp in them.....
TolkienGeek
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fish foods use fish meal to a great extent. In fact, if you look at the ingredients of a bag of Hikari "algae" waffers, the first ingredient is fish meal. Its the main protein source in most fish foods.

Heck, my dogs love fish food. Laughing No, no, I don't give to them, they steal it if I'm not careful. It's hard keeping anything from a pair of Great Danes. Rolling Eyes

"Would you eat poo?" - Said the Corydoras catfish...
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one homemade fish food recipe that is great for breeding cichlids and it produces more, healthier fry when fed to cichlids that contains dog food, although it's primarily used as a filler, near as I can tell. most cat foods contain a lot of animal by-products, such as parts of chicken and beef. I can't really imagine A school of neon tetras taking down a whole cow, but I suppose a housecat can't do it either.

best thing to do though, is analyze the nutrition information. if it's pretty close to fish food, then I suppose it would be okay, but personally, I'd just use fish food. here's an article on what nutrients to pay attention to.

lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had to lock my fish food in a cupboard because my cats wouldn't leave it alone! They think it's treats.
Avenger
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenoirj wrote:
I finally had to lock my fish food in a cupboard because my cats wouldn't leave it alone! They think it's treats.

Oh yeah, it's so fun to come home and find the little furballs have spread an entire can of flake across the the living room floor. And then they have the nerve to "casually" wander over and look surprised at all the mess on the carpet. Rolling Eyes Sorry kids, ain't gonna fall for that...
Kaycie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
I can't really imagine A school of neon tetras taking down a whole cow...

I just have to say, that's a pretty great mental image.
RubberDuck
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
I know of one homemade fish food recipe that is great for breeding cichlids and it produces more, healthier fry when fed to cichlids that contains dog food,
What is it?, I'm breeding convicts right now, I'll give it a shot.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: