Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new fish in my 10g.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)22:33    Post subject: new fish in my 10g. Reply with quote

hey,
I've had my 10g. for 7 years (got for x-mas when I was 9) and now I have these fishies:
1 platy (male, around 2.3")
2 tiny yoyo loaches (around 1.7" each)

I've had these three fish in the tank for about 10 months.

I would like to get 2 more loachies for buddies, also yoyos, just going to pick ones that are the same size. I know that my biofilter will handle these additional fish, it is VERY well established.

#1: will I be able to get maybe a dwarf gourami? I heard that loaches and gouramis go well together.

#2: if my lfs stocks any shrimp (cherry, amano, etc.) should I buy a couple? I know that their bioload is tiny, and they clean up around the tank, so thats good, but will they be nice to the other fish? (eg: no grabbing or biting the fish in any way)

thanks,
brett.

PS: do yoyo loaches and angelfish get along? my friend wants to get some yoyos (likes mine) but he has angels..
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett!
For your first question, I think you could get a yoyo loach or two more and be just fine. (By the way- your loaches aren't "tiny", all yoyo loaches are small)
As for the gourami, I'd say yes as long as you keep an eye on it. Yoyos can be a bit nippy and gouramis are easily stressed.
Which leads me to your angel question...
I kept an angel and two yoyos together in a 200L tank and it did not end well. They didn't just nip her fins, they'd latch on and go for a ride as she swam around the tank. I tried to get them out multiple times and learned the hard way that they are IMPOSSIBLE to catch. Within a matter of days I found her lying on the bottom of the tank gasping for breath. Despite my best efforts I was unable to save her.
That being said, there is a disclaimer to my story- my angel was at least seven years old, perhaps older (she was pretty big when I got her). In the wild, when fish are getting toward that time when they should be heading to the big fishbowl in the sky, other fish tend to sense their weakness and pick on them more. Thus, it could be that Lucy (that was her name) was going to die from old age anyway and the loaches just sensed it and decided to take advantage of it.
I hope this has been of help,
Liszie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Flyingfish, yoyos can grow to 6 or 8 inches, I've seen them that size. They grow (or should grow) way too large for your 10g.
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for not posting yesterday, the power went off..

I've decided to get a 55 and put these fish in it:
8-10 yoyo loaches (including the 2 in 10g.)
2 angelfish (the loaches seem to leave other fish alone when in big groups)
maybe 2 dwarf gouramis
maybe 4-6 hatchetfish
some dithers (danios, barbs, rasboras, tetras, etc)
2 clown plecos or 1 bristlenose

so yea, never mind my question about the 10g.

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems over stocked for a 55, maybe drop the hatchetfish and dither fish, or the amount of loaches?

Also, it's going to be difficult to keep two Dwarf Gouramis in there for the simple reason that chances are, you mean two MALE Dwarf Gouramis, please, don't put two males in the tank, I did the same thing and one ended up dead.

But if you can get 1 male and 1 female, then that should work nicely.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not put barbs in there. Barbs are fin nippers and angles have long fins. You get the picture.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another good point, barbs and angels are a no no.

How about you go with something like this

3 YoYo Loaches
2 Angels
5 Hatchetfish
10 Tetras of your choice, as long as they aren't neon or cardinals (Angels will eat them)
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyD wrote:
I have to disagree with Flyingfish, yoyos can grow to 6 or 8 inches, I've seen them that size. They grow (or should grow) way too large for your 10g.

I believe you may have your species mistaken. There are many loaches that do get bigger, but if you do some research on yoyo's you will find site after site that cite (no pun intended) their max size as around 10 or 12cm, or 4 or 5in, including our own gallery. Here are some other sites...
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-60.html
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/botia_lohachata.htm
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Botia_lohachata.html
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12253
the last link may or may not be relavent as it is unclear whether it is referring to the Yoyo Loach (the scientific name of which is given) or Reticulate loach, which is the common name given.

Also, just as a side note, depending on the size of your LFS, you may have trouble finding female colisa lalia. If it isn't marked female, don't assume!

Liszie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish wrote:

Also, just as a side note, depending on the size of your LFS, you may have trouble finding female colisa lalia. If it isn't marked female, don't assume!

Liszie

Female Dwarf Gouramis (Colisa lalia) are actually very bland and silver and color, so it shouldn't be too hard to find them, assuming your LFS actually sells them. Mine doesn't, and I asked the manager why and he said because they don't sell. And he has a point, what kind of normal fish customer wants a bland and drab looking Colisa lalia when they can get one as vibrant as a male?
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I made a new list:

new list:
-8 yoyo loaches
-2-4 angels
-6 hatchetfish
-8 harlequin rasboras
-1 or 2 small plecos (5" tops) (maybe clown or bristlenose)

this list is good, I don't see any conflicts or bio-load issues there..

I know that works out to be around 100" of fish, but that doesn't matter..
the hatchets and rasboras don't produce much waste at all, the loaches and angels don't make much either..the plecos would probably end up making the most waste.

that, plus I'll be performing 4 gallon water changes every 3-4 days, as well as running two filters.

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: