Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Green Terror Eggs - development (pictures updated + video)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)15:39    Post subject: Green Terror Eggs - development (pictures updated + video) Reply with quote

Just got back from holiday and have found that my Green Terrors pair have bred again (3rd time since August).

Thought I'd get some good photos this time as the eggs have been deposited on a piece of bogwood at the front of the tank this time.
As far as I can tell the eggs were deposited on Sunday morning.

Here are photos of the eggs on Day 1 (Sunday) and Day 2.

Day 1:

Day 2
you can see the change in the egg colour, the greyish stripe is the body of the fish:

I'll update each day hopefully, they should hatch in about 2 days. Then I'll try to get some photos of the little wrigglers and later the free-swimming fry.

Photos were taken with a Fuji Finepix S6500 fd.

Last edited by Lord Steve0 on 2006.12.26(Tue)17:40; edited 3 times in total
qwerty1291
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, very nice, theres gonna be a lot of them swimming around soon Razz
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'a excellent, yes, please post pics everyday. Thanks!
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Well they've now emerged, so I think they were older than I thought. Can't see then though as the pit the mother has dug is right at the back of the tank behind a load of Amazon Swords.
Hopefully they will be moved again to a different pit nearer the front so I can get some more shots.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! Thanks for the pictures; they're fascinating. I do hope you can get more. Smile
Giankrlo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)11:56    Post subject: re Reply with quote

wow!!!,can you do me a fovar, tell me how long did they take for the first batch of eggs? cause I have a male and a female that have been alone one month and havent put any eggs but they do the mating ritual evry day and the female pass the time making holes in the substrate under a river rock and under a river wood that I have too, and they always bite each other body or jaw-lock, and the male do the energycs shakes and the female do those too with the head after jaw-locking, this behave of fighting has been since one week ago. THEY don't HAVE ANY INJURY OR FINN ROT OR MARKS OF BEING HIT THEY ARE LIKE NEW!! I don't understand how cause they do seem to be fighting sometimes but no scales or fins are harmed, like I say they are like new Confused

OH I forgot to say they are wild white saums gts caught by me, they were four, the male and four females, he picked the only white saum female and the other two goldsaum got killed when I wasnt looking.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild caught GTs? That's pretty cool, never seen a white saum over here, I've been on the look out for one though.

My two mated about 1 month after I put then in with each other, although they were showing off and all straight from day one. The male is about 6" long I guess, the female only 3" or 4" so in spite of the size difference they seem happy to breed.
They have laid eggs every time my and my girlfriend go away for a weekend so I suspect the fact that the tank is not disturbed gives then the time to mate and lay deposit eggs.
They've not done too much fighting that I've seen, the odd nip ffrom the mother when the male gets near the young.

Here are some photos of the free swimming fry in took today and yesterday.
Sorry about the rubbish quality but they were at the very back and in a dark part of the tank.

Christmas day:

Boxing day:

Last edited by Lord Steve0 on 2006.12.26(Tue)17:41; edited 1 time in total
Giankrlo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)15:58    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I want mine to breed so badly, can you take or have pics of the female with the breeding tube outside or know and describe how it look like. also pics of the parents!! Wink

thanks Razz

Last edited by Giankrlo on 2006.12.26(Tue)16:07; edited 1 time in total
Giankrlo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)16:03    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

can u post some?
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get some shots of the parents this week, maybe tomorrow.

For the mean time here's a video of the mother guarding the fry. You do see the male swim past at one point, he's much bigger than she is.

I reckon there are about 100 fry there, maybe even 200 if I'm lucky. I'll move then inot a smaller tank later this week but leave some in the main tank.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/Lordsteveo_666/300L%20Tank/?action=view&current=DSCF0535.flv
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: