Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How territorial is an Oscar ?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
aatif
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)12:59    Post subject: How territorial is an Oscar ? Reply with quote

Hi

I brought 5 oscars last thursday,before these I had Bp's and they were very territorial.

Everytime I used to put a driftwood or or a rock,the Bp's would readily take hold.

Oscars are different,I mean they don't hide all the time like the Bp's but they are pretty much like a schooling fish.

How will they react if I put a decoration piece of a cave,driftwood etc.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscars aren't as agressive as other South American Cichlids, but they do have SOME territorial tendencies if not in a group of 3 or more.

What size is your tank? 5 oscars would need about a 250 gallon aquarium at the least.
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes I agree! You will need one heck of a tank to house five oscars! They grow about an inch a month, eat enough in a day to feed a normal community tank for a month, a poop like crazy. Another thing to consider with oscars is filteration. A 250 gallon oscar aquarium will need about 2,500 gph of filteration. I really hope you are able to take care of your fish, good luck.
aatif
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are just 2 inches in length,40G aquarium...

Yea,I understand their housing requirements and get it exchanged as soon as I feel they've outgrown.

Filtration is good,Fluval4 large sponge filter.

do you think putting bogwoods,cave will make them territorial ? rite now they are happily schooling.
Brian Pellerin
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not concern yourself with tank decorations / territory. Buy the minimum tank requirement for ONE oscar (about 60 or 70gal) and keep only one fish. A 40gal tank won't even house one.

Please retun all but one and buy a larger tank. You made the correct move to post your situation. Now, return 4 oscars.
And God said, "...let them have dominion over the fish of the sea." Gen 1:26

And he spoke of... fishes. 1 Kings 4:33
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many people say stuff like this aatif:

Quote:
they are just 2 inches in length,40G aquarium...Yea,I understand their housing requirements and get it exchanged as soon as I feel they've outgrown.

There is the slight problem of stunting to be taken into account.

Fish kept in tanks that are too small for them often slow or stop growing, the fish never get moved and you end up with stunted, sick and dead Oscars.

All fish put out hormones and pheromones, when these build up in a tank, it affects the fish, not only does the growth pattern become affected, they also have a habit of becoming sick or dead.

To keep these fish growing how they should, you should be doing at least twice weekly 30% water changes aatif. But even that isn't enough, a Single Oscar really needs at least a 100 gallon tank in my book.

As already mentioned by others Oscars aren't the "Most aggressive" Cichlids but they are still pretty nasty fish, this aggression becomes more evident as they get older, and that is why they are often kept as single fish, and become very good pets, unless you can provide a very very large tank.

Please listen to Brian and the others, return 4 Oscars and get a much larger tank ASAP.

Bob
aatif
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,I liked watching a school of them...But since its for their betterment,I have to return the four !

Thanks
plmarsg8
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to return all!
milo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscars are actually sissy bullies that only picks on the weak. I had an oscar that would push a Senegal bichir around. 10 minutes after I threw a juvenile Jack Dempsey 1/3 of the oscar's size in his tank, the oscar was hiding in a corner of his tank backing away from the JD.
paul-discus
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wit everything that has been said and if you were able to get a 250 gallon tank that would be really good for them or just have the one in say 80 to a 100 gallon tank. Actually I would keep two and see which one colours up the best as it gets older and who knows they could turn out to be compatible. Oscars are like puppies and if there is anything in there tank that they don't like they will move it or at least try very hard so I would keep that to a minimum. They will also pick gravel up in there mouths and spit it at the glass often just to get your attention. Ours when we had them would let us stroke them and take food from the hand. They really get to know there owner but I can't stress these fish deserve better, it should be clearly marked on a sellers tank that these will out grow most peoples tanks very quickly, and that they are certainly not a community fish, that said there is fish that will go in with them but they are usually fish of the same size. I would suggest you buy an aquarium hoover and get used to hoovering the tank bottom daily and doing a daily water change and a good live food for them is the earthworm, either dug up yourself from an area that hasn't been treated with pesticides or bought from an angling shop. We had much fun with ours but they deserve to have a full life in good water and with plenty of swimming space as they are an active fish and if you can't give them this then don't have any. Often they will play dead and lie on there sides on the bottom of the tank but this is quite normal behaviour.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: