Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
OK this is scary
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try gradually reducing the temp back down, and do water changes every day to reduce stress. Redness can indicate bacterial infection if it isn't due to chemical poisoning, which would be the case if your water company changed its disinfection routine. Sometimes more chlorine is added, sometimes a company switches from chlorine to chloramine. What do you use for your water conditioner?

Do a search of hemorrhagic septicemia to see if the symptoms match that disease. Bloody streaks and bloody blotches indicate internal hemorrhage. It may or may not be caused by bacterial illness. A sudden temperature change or other sudden stress like what the fish experienced may cause symptoms. If you noticed the symptoms suddenly, with several fish, right after the temp change, it's a safe bet to attribute the problem to that.

I would use a stress reducer such as NovAqua+ to help the fish recover. It's possible that they can heal from this, let's hope for the best.

~Haname
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use distilled water for water changes sine my tap has rust and other harmful things in it so still will the novaaqua be really good for them to reduce stress and I will just keep the temp whare it is since thats whare it should be anyways.
pat fal
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)11:05    Post subject: swollen belly and "infection" per temp change Reply with quote

Hi, I am no expert by any means but have really been studying a lot and it sounds like possible bacterial infection [ like "bloat" or "dropsy"] which can show up at a higher temp simply because bacteria grow better at a higher temp.Also the red streaks are definite indicator of a septicimia[?] I need a spell check -sorry to say I,ve seen almost every problem in my new tank and haven't had much luck in treating any of them. Usually lose the fish. Also it seems some foods contribute more to dirty tank than others....I have had problems with dried tubifex worms.Also scrubbed tank sides clean of slight amount of algae and lost two guppies within 24 hours they bloated swam listlessly and died.I wondered about bacteria or something related to that. Hope your fish are still alive and someone can offer a working suggestion. Confused
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

honda wrote:
I use distilled water for water changes sine my tap has rust and other harmful things in it so still will the novaaqua be really good for them to reduce stress and I will just keep the temp whare it is since thats whare it should be anyways.

What are you adding to the distilled water to replenish trace elements, minerals and buffers? Baking soda is only for buffering, it will not help the other stuff. This may be the problem right there, especially with guppies which require hard water. They are exploding inside themselves because there is no osmotic pressure in the water.

You can read the novaqua+ info sheet at the Kordon website to see if you would like to use it or not, personally I would use it when fish are under stress to help speed recovery but it's a personal preference. However, you have to get some minerals and trace elements in that water.

~Haname
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

so put some discus trace in there because I'm getting some for my new tank that will help with the trace elements, minerals and do that after each water change so there is some stuf in there you know I have had this tank for a year doing water changes with distilled and never affected them in any way kinda weird but I will add some discus trace in there for them and some novaqua+ for the stress.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discus Trace is great for discus, but doesn't provide sufficient hardness for guppies. Consider LiveBearer Salt to replenish the distilled water for guppies.

~Haname
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much iron is in your water? I read in your other post and saw that you have hard tap water, which is actually good for guppies. Many water conditioners remove heavy metals. NovAqua+ precipitates heavy metal ions.

If you do decide to switch the tank over to tap, do so gradually, 10% at a time to give the fish time to adjust.

Keep us posted on how they're doing.

Edit: If you get the RO Right, you can use it for both discus and guppies, just use more for the guppies and less for the discus.

~Haname
pat fal
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)17:53    Post subject: this is scary...cont Reply with quote

O.K. back in to it after Christmas{ Best Wishes] Yep-- read about the distilled water thing in a good book... but that shouldn't be the problem since you've been doing that and interesting about the hard water iron thing since my mountain tap water is definitely in that category but still shouldn't be the cause of this original thread... and I lost several guppies [many] to so many different things in my "new" tank buttt???? wanted to know whats up with "honda" fish since his first post? Is the sick one still alive? Might be a tumor or parasite
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: