Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any convict cichlid friends?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mcfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.17(Sun)18:09    Post subject: Any convict cichlid friends? Reply with quote

No one thinks at my LFS there is any thing that would go with convicts I was thinking of a bottom feeder or something else that could hold its own. Right now they are about 2 and 1 half inches. And have not mated or spawned.
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.17(Sun)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your tank? What do you have as far as filteration? My guess is that your tank is too small for convicts+friends and they are trying to keep you from buying addition fish that will likely be killed by your cons.
mcfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.17(Sun)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I have a 32 gallon tank with a powerful filter of some sort. I was hopeing to get a single bottom feeder of some sort.
KODIAKBEAR
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 48 gal bowed tank with three convicts a male and his two sons all under two years old. I also have one Jack Dempsy and one Green Terror, and one Pleco. So far they all get along OK. The Father Convict (T-Rex) dominates the tank even though one of his sons is bigger than him now.

I have a Whisper bio-wheel 400 for filtration. I also do 30% water changes once a week. T-Rex snaps at everyone every now and then, but he has not injured or actually made contact with any of them as far as I can tell.

Every Wednesday I treat then to some Ghost Shrimp and they love it. I also feed them a variety of other foods flakes, worms etc. They are now starting to eat out of my hand.

I am transfering this summer and once we get into our new home I plan on buys a 150 gal tank for them. I added the Jack Dempsey and the Green Terror about three months ago. To curve the agression I rearranged the tank before I added them so that my three convicts would not be territorial. So far they all get along like kids and I really have not had any problems etc. They are really special to me especially the two of the Convicts whom we raised from birth.
KODIAKBEAR
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

One a side note, my brother who lives in Califorina has raised 5 convicts for the last 8 years two Black and three Albinos and they are all more than eight inches long now. That is the biggest I have ever seen, they all have those fully delveloped lumps on their foreheads etc. He feeds his fish a diet of chicken, and worms.
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 32 gallon you could probably get away with a smaller pleco like a bristlenose, but keep in mind that plecostomus are poop machines that are especially good at hiding.
mcfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a pair of hi-fin plecos because that was the only type I liked at my LFS is this OK? and how big will they get in that tank? also if I get a bigger tank for them [50 gallons at the most] could I put in tiger barbs?[I have a cascade200]
mcfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also can I feed the convict every now and then some ghost shrimp that have been given nutrional food?
mcfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller of the 2 plecos died today. Sad would this make the stocking better 1 male convict and 1 hi-fin pleco?
milo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say you can add a Raphael catfish in there. My Raphael holds his own against a very mean Jack Dempsey.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: