Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Looking to breed cichlids.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, is there any other fish that is really colorful that I could put in the tank?
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about if I upgraded to say, a 40 gallon bowfront? I was thinking a Blue Dempsey?

I haven't ditched the 20 gallon, but like I said, I like to keep my options open.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's down to the wire, and I'm going with the 20g long. But cannot decide at all whether or not to go with

A pair of Convicts,

OR

3 Otos
6 Albino Cories
7 Cardinal Tetras
2 Blue Rams

I would LOVE to see the Convicts breed, and as it turns out my LFS will take any Convict fry that survive in the tank.

But, I'm afraid of the Convicts killing eachother, if it's absolutely neccesary, I could try to find a slightly larger tank to prevent this from happening, but I would need more input on the chances of the male killing the female at some point.

Please help!

Colin.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of Convicts might be a bit iffy in a 20g long. I think I would recommend option #2.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

What tank size would you recommend for a pair of convicts?
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pair in a 30g long (36") that did well, so I guess that would be my recommendation. Although they are bi-parental, the male can hassle the female quite a bit, so they need their space.

Not to mention that Convicts really aren't a challenge to breed. You could put a pair in a wet sock and they would spawn, they are truely a "just add water" breeder.

The Rams on the other hand will present a challenge. This is what you should be looking for, as it will make you a better aquarist as you read and learn more to produce the results you are longing for.

I wish you the best of luck, and keep us posted on your results.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help J.B!

I'm going to three of the best LFS's around here tomorrow, and I think a thirty gallon will be the tank I'm looking for, not just for the convicts, but in case I go with the community setup, a larger tank would let me bring the numbers up even more. Who knows, maybe I'll come home with a 50 or 55 gallon? My stepfather has agreed to do a DIY stand, involving a 1" thick piece of wood and cinder blocks. Not very attractive I know, but it's cheap.

How much do just bare 50 and 55 gallon tanks cost? I know 10 gallon tanks are ten dollars, but I doubt a 50 gallon tank is only fifty dollars.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much do just bare 50 and 55 gallon tanks cost? I know 10 gallon tanks are ten dollars, but I doubt a 50 gallon tank is only fifty dollars.

You can always pick up one of the 55g kits that WalMart sells. A lot of folks buy those and just use the tank and hoods. They are fairly cheap...

Quote:
My stepfather has agreed to do a DIY stand, involving a 1" thick piece of wood and cinder blocks. Not very attractive I know, but it's cheap.

Here is a DIY stand that I just built out of the same things you mentioned. I used a couple of 2x4s vice the 1" x 4' x 8' sheet of wood. It's much stronger this way. I also did not use the cinder blocks on the bottom as depictd in my original plan drawing. As you see in the photo of the finished project, I also added a 48" shop light and some leftover 2'x4's for the legs of it. If you build it to these dimensions, you will be able to put a standard 55g on it if you so choose. I tried to use some spray paint to paint the cinder blocks, so they wouldn't look like, well, concrete. Unfortunately, they just soaked up all the paint. I think I might try to use some regular brush/roll on paint at a later date. None-the-less, it's not unattractive!

Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice diagram! It's nice to know I'm not the only one without the money or desire to pay for a 50-60 dollar stand.

Well, after my 4 hour long LFS trek today, I've come down to two completely different options.

In one, I've decided on going with a 20 gallon long, for the main reason that anything above that is so expensive! The cheapest I could find a 30 gallon was 80 dollars! And that's just the tank alone, no stand, hood, or anything. I can get a 20 gallon long for 30 bucks, so that's the route that I could be going.

I also discovered that out of the three and ONLY LFS's here, only ONE had a plant section, and that was PetSmart, and their plant section was bleak at that, all they had were about 10 Jungle Vallisneria, and a few banana plants. I really DO NOT want to order plants off of the internet, the shipping is just too high of a price, and I just don't have the money to do it. Are there any HUGE disadvantages to plastic plants?

Now for option 2!

I've been doing a lot of reading on Shrimp Only Tanks. These fascinate me, especially the ones with Cherry Red Shrimp, and if I went with this option I would still get a 20 gallon long. I'd probably get a regular aquarium hood, and just throw some Java moss into the tank to keep them happy. My LFS carries these shrimp by the bundle, so getting them is no problem. I'd use standard aquarium gravel, as Java Moss does not need anything special to grow.

Also, none of the stores I went to carried Rams! So what other options do I have for stocking?

Now, tell me your opinions! Give me your advice!

Thanks, Colin.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, nice diagram! It's nice to know I'm not the only one without the money or desire to pay for a 50-60 dollar stand.

Rest assured my friend, you are definitely not the only one!

Quote:
In one, I've decided on going with a 20 gallon long, for the main reason that anything above that is so expensive! The cheapest I could find a 30 gallon was 80 dollars! And that's just the tank alone, no stand, hood, or anything. I can get a 20 gallon long for 30 bucks, so that's the route that I could be going.

I don't know how much of a budget you are on, but like I said in my previous post, WalMart usually has their 55g kit for about $150. That is tank, filter, heater, hood, lights, net etc. All you need from there is substrate, water, fish and dechlorinator. They also have 29g kits, but I don't recall the price.

Quote:
I also discovered that out of the three and ONLY LFS's here, only ONE had a plant section, and that was PetSmart, and their plant section was bleak at that, all they had were about 10 Jungle Vallisneria, and a few banana plants.

The PetsMart here usually gets aquatic shipments every Friday. You should ask when yours gets their shipments in, and plan on being there to peruse the stock.

The WalMart here always has plants too. Be careful with them though, they usually have several non-aquatic plants that will rot in a matter of days. Rolling Eyes I speak from experience unfortunately...

Quote:
Are there any HUGE disadvantages to plastic plants?

No, uplanted tanks are just as successful as planted.

There are some benefits to live plants though. They provide oxygen through photosynthesis, use up unwanted NO3/NitrAte as nutrients, and due to their root systems, they can keep your substrate from developing any anaerobic, or dead spots.

Quote:
Now for option 2!

I've been doing a lot of reading on Shrimp Only Tanks. These fascinate me, especially the ones with Cherry Red Shrimp, and if I went with this option I would still get a 20 gallon long. I'd probably get a regular aquarium hood, and just throw some Java moss into the tank to keep them happy. My LFS carries these shrimp by the bundle, so getting them is no problem. I'd use standard aquarium gravel, as Java Moss does not need anything special to grow.

I guess what it boils down to is, what can your budget afford you, and what do you want to see in your tank?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: