Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Looking to breed cichlids.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a plan! Just remember that those Rams are very sensitive to their environment.

A lot of folks say that Discus are the hardest fish to keep, but I've had success with them where I have been an absolute killing machine when it comes ot Rams. I just can't keep them alive...

Good luck to you, and remember, stability is usually the key to success!
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man, I just can't seem to make up my mind.

I just read some articles on Firemouth's and I'm intrigued! Would there be any way to fit one into the 20 gallon long if I only keep cories with it? Or is the 20 gallon just too small?
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my comments didn't scare you away from the Rams. There are far more people who have great success with them, than don't!

Meeki only grow to about 6 inches, so it would fit, but I think you would become bored with just one.

Your best bet is to stick with the dwarf SA cichlids like Mikrogeophagus ramirezi or altispinosa or one of the many apistogramma varieties. The behaviors of a pair would, I believe, would be far more interesting to you.
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, your comments haven't scared me away from the Rams, J.B! I just like to keep my options as open as possible.

The only thing I'm worried about is if I don't get a pair of Rams. (Which I have decided to go with instead of Apistos) The whole online thing went downhill after I saw the shipping prices, the shipping was 2 times as much as the fish, and even then the company doesn't promise a male and female.

There aren't too many reputable LFS's around here, and each of the 4 or so actual stores that we do have are on opposite sides of town. I suppose after getting everything I need for my tank and cycling it, I could go on a 'fish run' of sorts, and go to each store and attempt to find a definite male and female.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have one particular LFS that you frequent, and they don't normally stock Rams, ask them to order them for you. Most all shops can get many other fish they don't normally stock. It's worth asking...
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, I've never really thought about it.

Just to see, how many Cories could I keep if I did go with the Firemouth?
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.22(Fri)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to go with the T. meeki, I'd go with 4 cories
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Firemouth in a tank with Swordtails and Cory's, the tank is 30 UK gallons 36x15x18 (About 36 US gallons), I would say that a tank of that size (30 UK gallons) is the smallest, I would want to see a Firemouth in. I wouldn't keep one with small slim fish like Cardinals (I think they would get eaten). Ours grew in a larger tank, but got moved as he was too aggressive.

I was Xmas shopping yesterday (4 hour round trip on a ferry) and brought back some new fish, a pair of Keywhole Cichlids, half a dozen Cardinals and a Synodontis (All for different tanks).

Keywhole Cichlids get to about 4/5 inches, are fairly peacefull and could be an option instead of a Rams, treat them as if they were Bolivian Rams (There not bad either).

Bob
Sink Colin Sink
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Bob!

The only thing turning me away from the Rams is that I'm worried that they won't show the great coloring they have in all the pictures I've seen of them. The main thing that attracts me to them is their coloration, and it would be very disappointing for them to not show their colors.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the way Rams look to the human eye, and the way they look through the camera eye is different. The camera flash picks up on all the irredescent markings and makes the fish look much more brilliant than what you really see in the tank.

With that said, if you are looking for one that looks like a picture you have seen, you probably won't find it.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: