Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I haven't seen my bristlenose pleco in months
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Calypso
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.14(Thu)13:49    Post subject: I haven't seen my bristlenose pleco in months Reply with quote

I have a 75 gallon tank that is heavily planted with lots of hiding spots. I have tetras, cories, bettas (1 male and 6 females), 2 otos, and 1 bristlenose pleco (supposedly).

When we first got our pleco in February, we saw her almost every day. Then, we didn't see her for about 4 months, and were worried she might have passed on. We saw her again once in August -- looking as healthy as ever -- and now it's been another 4 months. We suspect she's still alive because we're not overgrown with algae, this has happened before, we haven't found a body, and all of the rest of our fish are very healthy.

Does anyone else go months without seeing one of their fish?
Senor
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.14(Thu)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

plecos are more active at night so u probably won't see it very much during the day. have you tried looking through out your tank thoroughly for it?
Calypso
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look for her for probably 5-10 minutes every day, and after I posted this, I went home and looked for another 30 minutes last night. No signs! There are a few cave-like formations where she might be hiding. I have not tried looking at night, though.

I've had what our LFS calls common plecos in previous tanks, and they were never as adept at hiding as she is!

I think I'm just going to assume she's still alive somewhere in there unless I find any evidence to the contrary...

Thanks for the reply!

Mary
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really worried, you might try removing as many fish as possible, then digging around in the decor for your pleco, but this is pretty extreme. If your pleco died, you would probably have noticed a pretty severe ammonia spike at some point over the last 4 months. If it jumped, you would have probably smelled it by now Razz . My guess is that your fish is most likely hiding in one of your caves. By the way, do you have driftwood in the tank? Most plecos like to gnaw on wood for fiber, so if you add some your bristlenose might be more apt to come out during the day.
Calypso
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response -- I'm really not that worried, I just think it's odd that she could disappear for so long!

I did search around the outside of the tank, so I know she didn't jump out (that happened to us about 5 years ago with a common pleco).

She's just a really good hider!

Mary
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn the light off add a algae waffer and get a flash light. my clown pleco has a cave the it hides in, only comes out after the light has been off for some time. and once the light hits it, BAM, back to the cave it goes!
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were rearranging our tank this past weekend, we saw her! I noted it down in our fish log, so now I'm going to know for sure how long it is until the next sighting. Glad to know she's OK.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Mary
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: