Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
CO2 - whats going on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ngocthach1130
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay for the Co2 deficiency problem, I think I'll upgrade to pressurize system. I can't add another bottle. Not sure if you can tell but the tank sat right on top of the heater radiator in the dining room which I use as a computer room. I don't use the oil heater anyway since it's old and produce odd smell. So 2 juice bottle of DIY co2 already sit next to my canister filter. Another one would increase to the already unsightliness of everything. But pressurize is a must either way. I have another 75G tank just sitting there. Have no idea where to start nor have the time at the moment. So I'll just start with getting the CO2 system and use it for the present 29G. At least then I'll be good for future changes.

The problem I'm running into now is deciding where to buy the regulator for the CO2 system. I've tried to search for review for various CO2 regulator but no luck. Rexrigg site look nice but at $157 for the set up of regulator, needle valve, solenoid, is a bit steep. Another choice is the Milwaukee all in one system which contain everything Rex has but including a bubble counter. I'm leaning toward that since it's on sale on some site right now for $80. That and within some thread on this site even Steve Hampton recommend the Milwaukee since so many aquarists use it. I messed up the first time and bought so many equipment that in the end I don't need and has turned out to be a very costly hobby. So I'm careful this time around. I added some baking soda since my tank have low KH value and very prone to pH swing. Took some reading but right after water change. So I won't post those. Will get new reading tomorrow. I'll also try and get some phosphate test kit. I have nitrite and nitrate test strip but maybe I'll change to liquid test kit.
Thanks for everyones' help so far. Ooh if possible how about some pictures of your tank Flyjawn. ^__^

Edit: Took some reading pH 6.8 and KH is at 4 so around 19.7 ppm which is good. Hoping after the pressurize co2 it'll be in the 20's ppm.
ngocthach1130
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also took out the HOB filter. Before I follow what flyjawn did and remove just the biowheel. but still no where near the proper co2 level, so I took out the whole filter today. Notice co2 have risen a bit since yesterday. But right now there's no water circulation since I used the canister out line to run the co2 diffuser which is pointed down. Water is a bit stagnant now. What do you think about me getting a smaller HOB filter just to provide some water circulation. Powerhead sound okay but I want a little filtering.
flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this... I think I have some pics of my tank - they're not great but they'll give you the general idea.

how is your tank going? I got your PM and I thought I responded but apparently not. I'll do it now.

this was taken about 3 weeks ago... I since have developed a bit of BGA in the front of the tank so I have to figure out how to remedy it tomorrow when the LFS is open.

wow, looking at this picture I just realized how much all my plants have grown in 3 weeks! I'll take a new picture tomorrow.

p.s. this is my favorite fish. he's got attitude and follows me around while I clean the tank.

naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

NGO,
If you are running a canister you can always try making an in-line reactor...

DIY CO2 Reactor 1
DIY CO2 Reactor 2

BTW be sure to set this up on the return/output side of your filter. It should not reduce your flow all that much.

I have the Milwaukee MA957 regulator and it works fine but it can be touchy(PITA) first setting it up to get your desired working pressure(~12psi) and bubble rate. Also there is no locking/set screw to keep the main knob from being "accidently" turned, a feature Rex's regulators have(a very big plus if there are "little curious" fingers about).
FWIW I doubt Rex is making much off these regulators... what he is asking for them is probably what he has in them.

Flyjawn,
Tank looks nice...
Whats your NO3 levels?
BGA:
Manually remove as much as possible
Black out the tank for three days... NO PEEKING
Yes your fish will be fine in the dark & without food for three days!
After three days gravel vac and 50% water change and fertilize ala Tom Barr's Estimative Index.

Often many plants are sold in their emersed form and will shed their leaves once submerged. I don't know if that is what you were experiencing with the leaves turning translucent or if its an indication of a nutrient deficiency.

Fred
flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, I've ordered my ferts and hopefully that will improve the plants health. it is definitely a nutrient deficiency, I can't test for nitrates at the moment because my LFS has run out of kits but I suspect that I have a pretty bad nitrate deficiency.

I've bought some Flourish Nitrogen to see if that will help while I wait for my ferts to arrive.

I will do the blackout if I can't get the BGA under control in the next few days.
ngocthach1130
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank is in a shamble right now. Black out did help with the hair algae and the BGA. After I did another 50% water change after the black out it look much better. Although I notice since I've remove my Penguin filter the water is now cloudier with more waste left in the water. The canister filter doesn't seem to remove much solid waste and the intake sit too low in the tank to remove anything. Tried sawing it down a bit. But it won't prime after ward. Costed me a new return pipe. Maybe I'll get an aqua clear HOB filter rate for about 20G just so it remove some solid waste. I got the marineland powerhead. That thing is driving-you-mad noisy. I have a filter sponge on the intake of the powerhead hoping it will double as some solid waste filter but notice nothing is really getting suck in.

Hmmm the inline reactor sound good. Don't think it'll work with my canister filter though. It's so weak. so everytime I take it out to clean it won't prime properly because it can't overcome the back pressure cause by the huge bubble in the line.

Lol this planted tank is much harder/expensive to maintain that what I've planned when starting out. But looking at riccia pearling, there's nothing like it ^__^.

Funny thing is about 2 months ago I had gave away amazon sword runner with baby plants to someone I know and when I visit them their tank look pristine with the amazon growing beautifully. Although they don' t have Co2 or high lighting so it's a really bright light green color which is pretty cool. Unlike mine which is encrusted with algae and decrepit.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: