Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sexing angelfish
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.11(Mon)17:04    Post subject: sexing angelfish Reply with quote

I recently watched my white angel lay eggs, I watched from the side as she deposited them on an interior filter, I was able to see her sex organ, I was also able to see the other angel's organ but was not sure what to make of it. it looked like a smaller version of the white one's although on a larger fish... does anyone know any way to sex them?

Arrow the eggs were not fertilized (as far as I know, a few turned white although all were eventually eaten)

thanks
scottsws
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. You have a pair which can only reliably be determined at breeding time.

Although fish can adapt to water conditions that are not ideal, eggs are another matter. Angels come from soft acidic portions of the Amazon. Most city water is hard and alkaline.

Not all eggs will hatch. My angels ate their eggs within two days of laying them.

I personally use rainwater to soften and acidify my Amazon tank (pH 6.0 here in the Washington DC surbubs). ONly problem is that rain is not always consistent LOL.

Angels are Cichlids. Post Cichlid questions in the Cichlid Forum for faster and more accurate answers.

Scott
AQUA-MAN
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

last time I checked, the one laying the egg is the female. Sometimes however, two females will spawn. If the eggs are fertile (don't turn white) then the one that doesn't lay the eggs and fertilizes them is the male. If you can't witness the spawning, then here is AQUA-MAN's easy guide to angelfish sexing that never fails him.

1. Usually, before egg laying the female will appear more fat.
2. The female's organ is usually much bigger and more noticable.
3. The male's organ, is really teeny.

Hope it helps.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone... next time I'll post in the cichlid forum.

they've laid eggs several times now and it does appear that they are a male/female pair (thanks aqua-man). I read online to keep the lights on after the eggs are laid but the angels ate them every time and has really just led to an algae problem... they've just mated again and this time lights out @ 10. I'll try to up the pH next time.. as I'm sure there will be a next time.

I will try to videotape them laying their eggs aqain next time, this time I had camera problems...
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you actually know how to identify the private parts of an Angel fish, the only other way to know if you have a viable pair, is to see the eggs develop into wrigglers, this takes about for days after the eggs are deposited and fertilised.

Angels (as you have seen) often eat the eggs, as they get a bit older they learn not to, and will wait until you have a free swimming brood, before they eat them.

If you want to raise Angels, take the eggs out of the main tank (You will be attacked, but they don't hurt) and put them in a 10 gallon fry raising tank.

If you decide to do this, let me know and I will help you with it's set up.

Bob
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bob et al.

I would have tried removing them before if they weren't laying their eggs on the filter (the male[?] did bite me a couple of times and while it didn't hurt, it wasn't pleasant)

I've also heard that the shape of the angel is indicitive of it's sex; facing u the female will have a rounded underside whereas a male will come to a point at the bottom. From the side a female will have a softer transition from mouth to anus while a male is more angular.

...oh boy... my cannibals are goin at it again.... Laughing
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: