Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
stupidest question ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucjasson, that's a very elitist attitude to have. Common sense for some is not so common for others. Basically, you're saying that anyone who buys into those sorts of things is an idiot.

Great. Way to help the people who just haven't learned any better. My hat is off to your compassion.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to read a question and automatically sigh, roll the eyes and or mentally comment "what a dumb a...".
What is often hard to remember is at one time most of us probably asked similar "stupid" questions ;^)
I will not cite any "stupid" examples for one, the person(s) involved are still living and two, these forums are open to the public...

To liven up the mood and in keeping with the original theme...

Cheap Plant Ferts...
While some tales are too hard to believe I have no doubt Martin tried this.

Fred
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I think both sides are valid in this topic. Let's first make clear what is meant by "stupid question". As usual, Wikipedia has a brilliant explanation for Stupid:
Quote:
Stupidity is the quality or condition of being stupid, or lacking intelligence, as opposed to being merely ignorant or uneducated. This quality can be attributed to both an individual (e.g. Penny Person is stupid) or a person's actions, words or beliefs (e.g., Penny Person's policies are stupid). The term can thus also refer to poor use of judgement, or insensitivity to nuances in a person who is otherwise intelligent.

The key point here is the clear distinction between stupid and uneducated. It is possible even for intelligent and educated people to do stupid things, due to "poor use of judgement" or "insensitivity to nuances" as stated above.

Stupid is the opposite of smart, so if you're ready to accept the existence of smart questions, by simple basic symmetry you have to allow for the existence of stupid questions, and these should not be confused with uneducated questions.

Having said all that. Starting a thread on the a fish board proposing to list stupid questions related to fishkeeping, some of which might be harvested from the board itself, could in itself be considered stupid, in the sense of "poor judgement" and "insentitivity to nuances", for the reasons already mentioned by others...

To finish on a lighter note, have fun with stupid questions from the totally unrelated area of courtrooms:

http://www.stupidquestions.org/courtroom-humor.htm

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Common sense for some is not so common for others.

I agree with Nova_C. And I shall quote Einstein now, because he says it better than anyone:
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices one has gathered by the age of 18". --Albert Einstein

Its incredibly true, and I agree that everyone is new at some point, and has questions that may be seen as stupid by people with years of experience, but I bet they had similar questions when they started.

That being said, there ARE stupid questions in this world.... but genuinely asking something someone wants to know will never be stupid.
Bucjason
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I think some of us need to lighten up Rolling Eyes

I'll try not to start anymore fun humorous topics , didn't realize we were trying to cure cancer here....
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcasm isnt going to help... there's nothing wrong with fun topics, but there is something wrong with saying a question is "idiotic" if they were being serious.
Ariaanna
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.15(Fri)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents. . . . a couple came in to the lfs where I work and stated that they were having terrible problems with algae, and what could they buy to kill the algae? So, I point them towards some Algae Destroyer, but ask them several questions, "what kind of lighting do you have? what's your maintenance schedule? what kind of fish do you have? how long are your lights on?" AND. . . . . . . lighting was standard fluorescents, maintenance is normal, and the tank wasn't overstocked so far as I can recall. BUT, their lights were on 24/7. I sigh, and start trying to explain to them how long to leave their lights on, and why. I say trying, because before I could get a full sentence out, they kept interrupting me with very rude complaints that they were never told they need to turn their lights off, and why would we sell them a light if it would cause algae, and they don't need no light. . . . . the more I tried to explain to them why the lights shouldn't be on constantly and answer their other questions "well, we sleep, and fish need to sleep too, excessive light causes excessive algae, we sold you a light so you could see your fish better, yadda yadda. . . . ." the more they yelled at me and cussed me out. Yes, they actually started using curse words.

Moral of the story? Not only is it a bad idea to assume that something is common sense, telling people as much REALLLLLLLLY angers them.

I must say, their rudeness and refusal to shut up for 2 seconds and listen to me while I tried to help them fix things was very frustrating, and the entire encounter is one of the stupidest things I've had to endure. Really, it's not the question that is stupid, it's the attitude and reception of the response that is. If you ask a question, accept the answer whether you like it or not, and be gracious even if you are unhappy about what is recommended.

Bucjason, if you don't appreciate our desire to keep things peaceful and as painless as possible on this board, maybe we should try to find something "stupid" that you may have said, and post it, because all of us occasionally have our stupid moments, even you, and it's rather unpleasant to have them pointed out.
redmum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.16(Sat)0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Danikins - if common sense is so common... why is the world such a mes!?!?

I think, Bucjason, it was just a poor choice of words and focus. We are all up for a laugh, but not normally at other people's expense. Perhaps, "What question did you ask when you started fish-keeping that now makes you just cringe?" would have gone down better... But don't beat yourself up over it. The discussion is good anyway LOL.

Marcos, love it. When I used to teach we were banned from using the word stupid with children, we said 'silly' - because it indicated a momentary lapse rather than indicted them for life. The court jokes I've read before, and they still make me laugh Laughing !!

anna

190ltr freshwater tank
Bucjason
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.16(Sat)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danikins wrote:
Sarcasm isnt going to help... there's nothing wrong with fun topics, but there is something wrong with saying a question is "idiotic" if they were being serious.

No, I think this whole ridiculous lecture is idiotic. I start a harmless thread about stupid questions and I get a 10 post rant about how there is no such thing as stupid people and stupid questions. What a joke. The only tone of arrogance and condescending is coming from YOU, mine was meant in fun. This thread would offend no one ,I'm sure, unless you mentioned them by name. No one likes being lectured to however .

Anyways, not to worry. I will post elsewhere from now on. On my other fish board people have a sense of humor.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.16(Sat)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...rant about how there is no such thing as stupid people and stupid questions.

I never said there was no such thing as stupid people or stupid questions. on the contrary, I agreed with you that there are stupid questions out there... See?:

Quote:
That being said, there ARE stupid questions in this world.... but genuinely asking something someone wants to know will never be stupid.

Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: