Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help Alex (insane yellow tang)
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Picasso Trigger
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.03(Sun)13:56    Post subject: Help Alex (insane yellow tang) Reply with quote

Please help my yellow tang hes got some sort of a sore or something its on his cadual penduncle and up near his leateral line on his back its red and his respiration has increased allot I'm scared and I don't know what to do I got him some gel-tek and it seems to help for a little while but it always comes back no matter what... What should I do (is there anything I can do) he eats very well and he is very active when I'm near the tank but as soon as I'm 3 feet away he just looks at his reflection in the glass I think he may be lonely as it is a 90 gallon tank and as of yet he is the only fish in it.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.03(Sun)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he pick at the rock? He should spend the bulk of his time grazing the rock for algae.

A pic of his wound would help a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.03(Sun)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two scenarios:

1. The fish has an infection of some sort
You need to remove it to a quarantine/hospital tank and treat it there; observe for a few days if it gets worse you may need a freshwater/methylene blue dip or some antibiotics but post a photo if possible, and try moving it to your QT first and see if daily water changes help before using any medications. Keep an eye on the other fish in your display.

2. Environmental issues
In this case, there may be something in the water chemistry that is causing the problem. Many times the so-called "mystery diseases," including burns, open sores, ulcers, red patches, ragged fins, etc. are actually a result of bad husbandry including simple issues like a tank that was never properly cycled, (new tank syndrome), or an aging system that is over populated with dropping pH/rising organics and slowly moving torward a crash (old tank syndrome). Have ALL your water parameters checked by your LFS, including pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Don't trust a 2 year old test kit. If you suspect your water quality may be causing your livestock to "break down," make some water changes if required, adjust filtration, add more filtration like a skimmer and/or reduce biomass to bring your system into balance.
Picasso Trigger
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)21:54    Post subject: YAY Reply with quote

YAY HE IS HEALED ITS A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE no seriously my test kit was my uncles place because he needed to check everything but I got it back on christmas eve tested everything fixed what was wrong (pH and Salinity were down) and on christmas day HE WAS MOSTLY HEALED he still has a little bit of red on him but he is amazing and I lurve him
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: