Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Baby Angels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help! I am losing my baby angels like crazy. My Nitite level is high and despite numerous water changes, I can't seem to get it down. Is it safe to add liquid bacteria to try to accelerate the bactia colny to get the nitrites down? Any suggestions?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking the water out of the main tank for these water changes, If so does it have high Nitrite?

If it has 0 Nitrite (which it should have) I would do a 30% water change.

Biro Spira is the only one that seems to work, you would need to buy it from a shop that keeps it refridgerated etc as it is live bacteria that is easily killed (Never used it myself).

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.20(Wed)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I take the water from the parents tank. I always test their tank first and their levels are at zero.

I am now down to about 20 little ones and I may loose some more only because they are still so small.

I will check into the bacteria that you mention.

I am finding that after I know that they have been fed enough, I am cleaning the bottom of the nursery by sucking up anything laying on the bottom with an eye dropper. This is helping to keep the water fresher for them.

Question...when adding bacteria, do you add it to the filter area or just put it in the water?

I would really like to get the level down because mama Angel is about to deliver.

Again, I really appreciate your advice and help.

Sherrie-Jo
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

More frequent and larger water changes would appear to be the answer.

I have never used Biro Spira, it's not available outside the US, and from what I have read it needs very carefull handling if the bacteria are to stay alive, do a search on the board for it, there are plenty of threads about it's use.

Got to admit I gave up trying to raise mine, I haven't got an outlet for the young, and has you mention, once they start breeding it's hard to stop them Wink

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.21(Thu)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I was going to clean the nursery tonight along with water change, etc., but
I guess I am going to clean the tank good, give it a good water change, put a stocking over the intake to the filter and let them free in the tank.
I hope they will survive. As far as the bacteria, hopefully the water changes will keep the nitrites down enough and I can just take water out with a pitcher instead of using the hose.

Wish me and the babies luck Exclamation

Sherrie-Jo
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about not replying yesterday, I was Xmas shopping and where I live that involves four hours on a ferry (I also bought some new fish).

For water changes like this , I normally use a jug, far quicker than setting up a hose.

Good luck with the rest of them.

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.23(Sat)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you got your shopping done. It sounds like you live on an island.
I hope it is warm where you are. It is not to bad where I live. We will be having a green Christmas though this year.

What kind of fish did you buy? Are yours fresh water or salt water or do you have all Angels?

Transferring the little ones to the life a free Willy did not go so well. I only have 5 that have survived but they look good. But maybe I know why.

The nitrites are at .50. I keep doing the water changes. However, I found out that some how (my husband does not know what happened) the heater got turned to 72 degrees. Could this contribute to the losses? They have been huddleing together and I thought they were just afraid of the 'big' world they now have but maybe it was to keep warm. I turned the temp up to 82/84 degrees.

It is also day 25 since they were laid. I now have a whole bunch more eggs and of course I did not find out about the temperature until after I had moved the eggs to the same tank the other babies are in.

Question, the eggs will most likely start the fungus process tomorrow. I have the Mardel fungus killer (for eggs) but will it hurt the little ones already in that tank? How much should I use. I am afraid of the blue fungus killer and I don't want to over treat. The instructions are never good enough. This is the same fungus killer I used on the previous batch of eggs and I thought it worked well. I just don't want to kill the babies.

Another question...when the babies are free swimmers in about 10 days, will it be okay to let them in with the other 5 babies? I am not sure how big they would have to be to eat the new babies.

When do I start the others on big fish food?

My friend is also giving me some little white (I think) worms to feed the babies next week. She said they would be good for the babies. They farm (?) their own worms with yeast and I think flour.

I hope you can respond soon, but I understand with Christmas being in 2 days.

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Sherrie-Jo
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Bob...and Merry Christmas to Me!

It has been 48 hours since mama laid her eggs. I now have approx. 200 + wrigglers!! Mama Angel laid approx. 300 eggs, papa missed about 100.

I just used the Mardel fungus stuff twice and kept removing the unfertilized eggs. The original 5 are doing just fine and are growing and developing fins. The one I was worried about is doing much better now that the temp is correct. And they are spreading out more and exploring.

Anyway, hope your Christmas was great!

Sherrie-Jo
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What kind of fish did you buy? Are yours fresh water or salt water or do you have all Angels?

I got a couple of Keyhole Cichlids for my daughters tank, a synodontis for my son's, and half a dozen Cardinals to make up the numbers in one of my Angel tanks.

Good luck with your youngsters, what are you going to do with them all ?

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

On of our Fish/Aquarium stores lost their breeder. The owner has been very supportive and has also been very helpful. They will buy as many of them as I want to sell. I am sure that I will want to keep some and a few of my friends want some of the angels. My niece also just got a small aquarium. I am sure my friends will give them good homes and I hope the ones I decide to sell will also be in good homes. Just like any other creature, they have great personalities!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: