Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Baby Angels
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.02(Sat)12:13    Post subject: Baby Angels Reply with quote

Hope you can help with these questions. I have 100 Angel Fish wigglers (new hatch). They started wiggling yesterday.

I have been told two different things. First, start feeding them before the egg sac is completely gone. Second, start feeding them after the egg sac is completely gone. Which is correct?

I have also read that you need to do a 10% water change daily. If I am to do this, I will have to leave the babies in their baby bin. When do I do this and do I really need to change 10% of the water every day? Right now the water is testing perfectly in all categories. I have no gravel, no other fish, and no salt in my baby-dedicated aquarium. If I have to do the daily water changes, should I add bacteria enhancer and stress coat? Should I add salt?

Finally, I have been adding Maroxy daily and removing the white "dead" eggs from the tank to help avoid fungus. Is this correct? Any other suggested measures to prevent egg death or fungus? Note: I am not using any fungus medicine because I heard it really messes up the filter, chemical levels, and eventually will kill the fry.

As you can tell, I have "heard" a lot of things and don't know what is really correct to ensure the sucessful raising of fry from my latest batch of Angel Fish eggs. Can you give me the correct advice to my questions and comments above? Thank you so very, very much! Question
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.02(Sat)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you need to do a 10% water change every day but you need to do one on a regular bases as fry produce a growth-inhibing hormone that needs to be removed.
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.02(Sat)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Any advice of fungusd prevention or other death-dealing causes?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.02(Sat)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once they are wriggling, they should be creating a water flow around themselves so I doubt they will fall foul to fungus now, they should be free swimming in another few days and they don't lose the egg yolk for about a day after that.

What size tank are they in, does it have a mature filter or is it an unfiltered tank.

I would be looking to do a minimum of 10% per day, but I would use water from the main tank (Where the parents are) rather than treated tap water.

In my experience clean water is about the best way to raise young fish, no I wouldn't add salt.

How are you going to feed them (They are tiny when they start swimming). I would start off by making some infusoria. If you start now you should be ready by the time they swim.

This may help you:

http://home.earthlink.net/~photofish/FreeSwimming.html

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.03(Sun)10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a 10 gallon tank all to themselves. We bought a spone filter upon the advice from PetSmart. We have the frozen baby brine shrimp but it seems we should proceed to raise them instead.

Anything I can do to avoid loss of eggs?

How often do you keep your light on? Do you use any chemicals at all?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.03(Sun)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have used some Methalyne Blue if the eggs went in on day one (Pre wriggler stage), but I don't like chemicals in general, and with only another day or so to free swimming, as long as you have plenty of water movement in the tank, and plenty of water changes you should be allright.

That 10% water change was a minimum, you could go as high as 30 to 40% as long as the water is coming out of the main tank.

I always put an airstone in any breeding tanks, as these normally set up lots of water movement. You are trying to do what the parents would do, and that is to fan them, but I am sure once they are wrigglers, this shouldn't be such a problem.

From a fishes point of view you don't really need much light at all, it's more for you benefit. 12 hours of a low level light would be fine.

I find the highest mortality rate is the first week of free swimming.

Get your brine shrimp supply sorted ASAP, it is possible to raise Angels on dried food, but better on live.

I have used Cichlid pellets ground to a dust with a pestle and morter, then drop tiny amounts of dust into the water, so that it moves past the fry (They instinctivly go for moving food). Don't over do it though as any residue will cause problems unlike brine shrimp who can be eaten later.

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.05(Tue)18:46    Post subject: Baby Angels Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for all your advice. I think I have only lost one since we started chatting. I still have approx. 100 plus babies. I do have another question:

Since I figured that all the babies would not loose their egg sack at one time, I thought as they did I would move the swimmers to a new baby bin in the same acquarium so that the ones with the egg sacks would not be getting fed along with the free swimmers. Well, I started moving them yesterday. It seems they are a couple of days early.

Anyway I moved the rest today. I got concerned because I was noticing that the little groups of wrigglers each seemed caught on something thus attached to each other. So I decided to use an eye dropper to suck out group by group to see what was going on. I put some of the acquarium water in a white cereal bowl and then dropped the group in the bowl. They were 'stuck' together by what appears to be lint or something (maybe fungus stuff). There were 3 fungused eggs that some of the babies were caught on, but when I tried to remove the eggs about three days ago I ended up leaving them in the bin in fear I would hurt them.

So I seperated them carefully using the eye dropper and needle nose tweezers and noticed that they started swimming freely and actually appeared to be happy. Did I untangle them from something they should have been attached too or that they might have been eating?
I then put each of them in the new bin for swimmers. I did this to each group and had the same results. They all appear to be eating the frozen baby brine shrimp because it will be another few hours before the live baby brine shrimp are ready. Now is it normal that some of the swimmers are swimming getting their food and the majority are preferring to eat what has fallen to the bottom. You would never know that each and every one of them can swim.

Also, what is infusoria? I have never heard of it.

Thanks so much,

Sherrie-Jo
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.06(Wed)4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is theis "bin" thing? I thought they were in a 10 gallon by themselves.

Yes they do develop at slightly different speeds, normally the parents spend a few days putting the early ones back on the leaf (Or whatever they were on) until the whole batch is properly free swimming.

The fry have some king of sticky attachment on them so they can stick. This is normally gone by the time they are properly free swimming.

Infusora are tiny animals that come about when plants are rotting, A simple way to make it, is to put a Lettuce leaf into a jam jar, pour boiling water into the jar, put the lid on and leave it for a day or two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infusoria

Bob
wingman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.06(Wed)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bin thing is just one of those plastic baby things. When I had them in the parents tank, the parents and other fish were sucking them out of the slits.
So I put the baby thing in the 10 gal that does not have any other fish in it.

They are all still doing fine and they have big appatites. Tonight I plan to do a 10% water change and I will use water from the parents tank.

Sherrie-Jo
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.06(Wed)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of those little nurseries for my fry. I won't use them, and one person I know who does (and loves them) has significantly less fry survive to maturity than I do in a 10g tank free swimming. They have no problem finding their food in a 10g in my experience.

hatching baby brine shrimp is so simple, I can't see using frozen any longer. I use R/O water, eggs, and sea salt and use a yoghurt tub with a light over it. I don't bother with adding an air line. Never found much of a difference.

R/O water and sea salt makes a big difference on hatch rate as brine shrimp are very sensitive to heavy metal contamination out of my tap water.

Hope this helps.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: