Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My Community
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.27(Mon)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Pirahnas are you guys talking about, I haven't seen or read of any in his tank
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.27(Mon)8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are silver dollars, not pirahnas...
Tylor
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.27(Mon)10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigersfan wrote:
They are right. Eventually their insticts will take hold and that peaceful community will turn not so peaceful...

I'm sure you know best! odd that may of the Crayfish sold now are farmed using poly aquaculture, strange. that means that different types of stock are breed and kept in the same pond!! perhaps the professionals have got it wrong. Cray are not hunters, they are scavengers. Like it or not Cray are kept in communities, perhaps far more than is recognised. its often better not to mention it, as there are so many none Cray keeping, Cray experts about. lol
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.27(Mon)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, true enough!

I had an Australian Blue Lobster or "Yabbie" once, but he at himself to death. he ate all 5 of my kuhli loaches and 3 shiner corpses in 1 night Shocked so they are scavengers- but when the need arises, they can kill. Likely the kuhlies ventured into his log and he snipped them!

Wink
tigersfan
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.27(Mon)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tylor wrote:
I'm sure you know best! odd that may of the Crayfish sold now are farmed using poly aquaculture, strange. that means that different types of stock are breed and kept in the same pond!! perhaps the professionals have got it wrong. Cray are not hunters, they are scavengers. Like it or not Cray are kept in communities, perhaps far more than is recognised. its often better not to mention it, as there are so many none Cray keeping, Cray experts about. lol

Am I hearing a touch of sarcasm?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.28(Tue)6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really compare aquaculture to fishkeeping, the whole point of the exercise is completely different as are a lot of the methodologies. I don't see a fishtank being populated to the same densities as in aquaculture, having the same amount of water changed, experiencing the same amount of casualties, being dosed with the same amount of medication or being fed the same amount of food...at least not by someone who is responsible about it.

I also see potential problems with the stocking...yes, I've heard the same 'but it's been fine for <insert 1-12> months' over and over and a overwhelming majority end up with problems within a few months. Don't fall into the 'if it's good now, it'll always be good' trap.

I hope you stay on top of things and that your community goes well, although experience warns me against betting on it.
Tylor
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.28(Tue)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

point taken about the aquaculture. sorry didn't make my point. lol . If it is possible to economically, poly farm Cray, in the densities required, then predation must by definition, be minimal!!

And I thank you for your warning, though your comments have always been at the forefront of my mind. I and my family keep a close eye on things, and I study the activity, within my tank, keenly. any changes, are monitored, lol my wife is a house mum!! I have a Rio 180, that can be quickly, cloned, and the Cray will be moved!! indeed the problems of keeping a Cray, were brought home, when I dealt with a 2&1/2 Redclaw, that had just dismembered an 8 inch plec!!!! I am also in regular contact with Cray keepers, some farmers too, who keep Cray as pets or in a community. And I count my fish on every visit to the tank. that said, with an understanding of how Cray and fish act, in different situations at different ages, can give a good guide as to how to give yourself the best chance of being successful! but you always count your fish!!
Fishpaste
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.29(Wed)11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tylor your tank rocks I'm going to have to agree with Marcos about the indiviual fish thing though but as soon as the tank is upgraded it should be no problem.Just have to put the numbers right and it all good. Like I said sick tank nice pictures I LOVE the craydad nice blue on him.

And guys who said the stuff abouth the piranaha they are actually Silver Dollars .... please do your research before you go on attacking anyone on this forum. Because all you just did was make fools of yourselves.

Cheers,

Fishpaste.
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.11.29(Wed)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm hm. Silver Dollars and Piranhas belong to the same family, but Piranhas do not look nearly so flimsy. Also: teeth. Piranhas also color much darker (My dominant one is almost black).
Tylor
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.05(Tue)3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianD wrote:
you have pirahnas in a tank with other peaceful fish. sooner or later the pirahnas will do what they do best.

[Cleaned up by moderation - MA]

Pirahnas????????? where??????? lol perhaps a bit of research before you post might be worth it. it should be, after all, a very simple id. lol let me know when you have worked out what they are. lol lol lol

Fishpaste wrote:
Tylor your tank rocks I'm going to have to agree with Marcos about the indiviual fish thing though but as soon as the tank is upgraded it should be no problem.Just have to put the numbers right and it all good. Like I said sick tank nice pictures I LOVE the craydad nice blue on him.

Cheers,

Fishpaste.

thanks for the post. it has been my intention, to develop theses fish as my "family"?? so the tank has grown with the stock, and will again. the point about the individuals is well taken by me. and had I seen any serious, problems, they would have been moved out. but whilst tank and inhabitants remain in good health. I will do my utmost to keep them till the final move.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: