Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Coralife compact fluorescent on top of glass?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kralster
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.21(Tue)23:24    Post subject: Coralife compact fluorescent on top of glass? Reply with quote

Just wondering if a Coralife compact fluorescent can go on top of a glass top? I have monting legs but I would prefer to put it on top of the glass if possible. I am wondering if it will be too much heat? It is a 65 watt bulb, 10,000K. I do not have the original instructions if any came with it... because I bought this used from an aquarium store. Thanks in advance!
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.22(Wed)9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worry is, the glass gets hot then it gets splashed with tank water and "crack"... maybe that's why they gave you the support legs? Wink
Personally I would not do it, why not check with your manufacturer over at Coralife:
info@esuweb.com
http://www.esuweb.com/contact.asp
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend it, as my experience is those fixtures get pretty hot. I don't know if glass cracking is a concern, but heating up the tank would be.
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. They say it can be placed directly on top of glass, but I didn't keep mine there long. The tank does get hotter that way, and I took a pretty good burn because I accidently touched the glass instead of handle when I was opening to feed. That glass all over gets HOT!!
Why do you not want to use the mounting legs? If it's a space issue or something else, someone here may be able to help.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: