Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ich becoming worse! What am I doing wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.02(Sat)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
The last cherry was very weak and I guess the stress of removing him from the tank to the salt bath was too much, and he died. : (

Oh, you didn't need to do a salt bath on the shrimps. They should stay with the plants. Shrimp don't get ich.

Quote:
How do you tell when a fish is showing "signs of stress" when it's already stressed?

Trying to jump out, darting around, sudden lethargy, that sort of thing. Actually anything different or more pronounced than what you have going on in the main tank. I think the heat/ich article describes what to look for.

Quote:
EDIT: Completed the bath without problems. Betta's still alive and in the floating tupperware now with a few plants. I don't know if the bath was effective, I didn't really notice any different behavior from the fish, maybe I didn't put enough salt solution in? This evening marks 48 hours (bath was done on Wednesday evening) and I'll give him another one, and then do one more in two days, for the recommended three treatments.

Did you follow the instructions for the salt bath in the heat/ich article here? I think bettas are quite tolerant and a salt bath shouldn't be too stressful for the fish.

Quote:
Before putting the plants in either of the tubs I rinsed them in the leftover full-strength salt solution. Hopefully this dislodged/killed any bits of ich stuck to the leaves.

Salt can be hard on plants, but some are more tolerant. The best thing to get rid of ich on plants is to put them in the warmer water (30

~Haname
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.06(Wed)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

haname wrote:
Shai wrote:
The last cherry was very weak and I guess the stress of removing him from the tank to the salt bath was too much, and he died. : (
Oh, you didn't need to do a salt bath on the shrimps. They should stay with the plants. Shrimp don't get ich.

lol I didn't give any of the shrimp a salt bath. I was talking about the last cherry barb.

The betta has been back in the tank since Saturday without problem. None of the plants suffered from being rinsed in salt either, so I think I'm in the clear. I'm aiming to try again with cherry barbs, but not until I know I can get them home without risk of the water chilling (which means I get to wait until at least...March...). No way do I want to go through this ordeal again...

Thanks for everybody's help, advice, and support, I really appreciate it!
Fish4fun
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.06(Wed)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought some new fish myself (26 Nov) and my strategy was to put the fish bags in my (and my husbands) toques, then into my heaviest winter jacket - which I was wearing at the time.

I walked out of the store looking pregnant - BUT - everyone is healthy and happy, and the 1/2hr trip to home, tucked in my jacket had no ill effects.
(Bronze Corys and Otos)

This is Embarassed how I usually get my fish home when I'm driving. Nice, warm, insulated and dark. *We* wear seatbelts, too! Very Happy

In the summer they travel in a picnic cooler. Wink
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.07(Thu)0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use any kind of insulated container such as a cooler or a thermal lunch bag.

~Haname
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.07(Thu)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm aiming to try again with cherry barbs, but not until I know I can get them home without risk of the water chilling (which means I get to wait until at least...March...). No way do I want to go through this ordeal again...

I sure don't blame you for this!!!

Were you worried that new cherry barbs would get cold, and then get ich? Fish can have ich and never 'show' any signs of it. They can get it in their gills where we can't see it. Any 'stress' might make them more vulnerable, from a move from one tank to another, to getting a chill. But, they could have the bug infection no matter what time of year. QT. QT. QT. Get a cheepo sponge filter, they are less than $5 online. Add an inexpensive heater. Pull off the sponge and stow it in your filter box. Buy a 10g tank - less than $10 at Walmart, and an air pump $5. or so. When you buy a fish, fill the empty 10, set up the sponge with and airpump and you are good to go. Just 1 month in the QT. Then you can breath easy and put the fish into your main tank.

When the QT time is done, throw the sponge back into the filter box. Empty and wash the tank. Viola instant rescue. Now the REALLY hard part is NOT filling your QT tank with more fish!!! (I fail every time...)

Cathy
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.07(Thu)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy G wrote:
Fish can have ich and never 'show' any signs of it.

Yes, I know, but I'm more confident the temperature change was to blame. The day I bought the barbs it was very cold outside (-20C at least) and the car was dead cold by the time I got back to it, took too long to warm back up again. The LFS I got the cherries from is not a chain store
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.08(Fri)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
You can also use any kind of insulated container such as a cooler or a thermal lunch bag.

This is a good idea. In the winter I'd have to carry either one into the store, because if I left it in the car it would get cold, which would defeat the whole purpose of using it!

Keeping it closed up in the bag will insulate it against the cold, even if you leave it in the car. Depending on the kind of bag you get, some will maintain the temperature for many hours. Your basic cooler might not keep the temp for a long time but the new thermal bags work great.

~Haname
stib718
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.13(Wed)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about turning on the heater in the car, if its warm enough inside for you to have your jacket off, it should be OK for the fish temporarily.
or you can put something warm(warm pack) in the cooler, keep the lid closed, and it should be warm and ready even if its been sittingin the trunk for a while.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.13(Wed)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

stib718 wrote:
How about turning on the heater in the car, if its warm enough inside for you to have your jacket off, it should be OK for the fish temporarily.

lol Well of course. But when the car is stone cold there is no heat right away. I rarely, if ever, drive without my coat on in the car when it's winter.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.13(Wed)18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai,
I just purchased a 30gal Rubbermaid/Sterlite tote from Walmart(~$9US) to use as a grow out "tank" for my plant clippings... tossed in my old 150watt Ebo Jager heater, an AquaClear 201 powerhead with a quick attach filter for circulation and placed a 40 watt shop light over it. Works well so far...
For a q-tank you could go with a much smaller "tote", heater and the AC201/20 with the quick filter for far less than a 10g set-up plus you really don't need to light it.

An insulated "lunch bag" with those heat packs(similar to ice packs but you "nuke" em) will solve cold weather transportation for your livestock...

Fred
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: