Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ich becoming worse! What am I doing wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.22(Wed)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyD, the tank from the other thread is my 55g, not the 10g I have been asking about here. In the 55g I am not using anything other than heat therapy and it looks like it's going very well (haven't seen any new spots on the betta in several days and none of the other fish have shown any. I think the panda was a terrible coincidence). November has been a very bad month for me all around, and not just with my tanks. : (

So, my grocery store does not have any iodine-free salt except for something called "Sea Salt" that comes in a huge box, claims to be additive-free but does not have an ingredients list on the box anywhere. I decided not to buy it since I'm not familiar with it and don't trust anything that doesn't have an ingredients list.

In this article (which the Illustrated Guide to Diseases sticky links to) says:
Quote:
Table salt is basically also NaCl, only with iodine added (the myth that iodized salt is harmful fish is largely false... iodine is a natural element that is needed in the diet of all fish, and is actually a supplement in many fish foods... the only thing in table salt of real harm to FW fish are the decaking agents, which are very low in concentration).

So...I'm going to carefully try table salt and hope I don't commit murder on the remaining betta and cherry (he's still alive!).

Wish me luck!
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.22(Wed)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My next question is what to do about the shrimp...removing the plants means removing their cover. I don't need my betta snacking on the shrimp!

What kind of shrimp is it? You might be able to keep it with the plants, or another option would be to put in a plastic plant, overturned pot, or whatever.

~Haname
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.24(Fri)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Malaysian rainbow shrimp, basicially the same thing as amanos.

The last cherry was very weak and I guess the stress of removing him from the tank to the salt bath was too much, and he died. : (

How do you tell when a fish is showing "signs of stress" when it's already stressed?

I used an eyedropper to add the salt solution to the bath. How do I know if I'm adding enough to be effective while still being gradual? Will I see the parasites falling off into the water when there is enough salt solution in it?

EDIT: Completed the bath without problems. Betta's still alive and in the floating tupperware now with a few plants. I don't know if the bath was effective, I didn't really notice any different behavior from the fish, maybe I didn't put enough salt solution in? This evening marks 48 hours (bath was done on Wednesday evening) and I'll give him another one, and then do one more in two days, for the recommended three treatments.

All the shrimp are in another tub with the rest of the plants, so the main tank has nothing in it now except gravel and an ornament. I did a 25% water change yesterday and will do another one today. Before putting the plants in either of the tubs I rinsed them in the leftover full-strength salt solution. Hopefully this dislodged/killed any bits of ich stuck to the leaves.

Because I've removed everything living, do I even have to do anything with the 10g now? Won't the tank "sterilize" in about a week, since the tomites won't be able to find any hosts? It makes me nervous, keeping the betta in a little tub...
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting over isn't easy.

So this is what the tank looks like now. Note: I only turned the light on to take the picture, I leave it off the rest of the time at the moment because the tubs are at the surface.

The rock ornament in the middle isn't covered with real algae; parts of it are painted green to simulate algae or moss.

The tub on the left holds the majority of the plants plus the four shrimp; the tub on the right has a few more plants and the betta.

It looks so empty, it's depressing. ;_;

Tomorrow I am going to start re-aquascaping the tank. I'm hoping to find a piece of driftwood small enough to fit without reducing the water volume too much.

Still holding at 30C and making daily water changes. Isis (the betta) is looking well, but he never showed any signs of ich at any point, so...

If my prior question is correct, that with no fish in the tank combined with the increased temp and daily water changes, the tank will be ich-free by this coming Wednesday, I'd like to release Isis and the shrimp back into the tank that evening. I just won't restock with anything else for a good while, maybe not even until spring. Comments?
stib718
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.26(Sun)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shai,
Sorry about your ick problem, I know how it feels, very frustrating, I had the same prob but with clown loaches when I first introduced them to my 55 gal. I didn't lose any of them, but they spread it to a pictus cat which died as a result. I found coppersafe(medication) to work. Tried ick guardII(medication) for 10days w/o luck. Anyhoos, going back to your tank, I think you probably want to go a little beyond 7 days just to be on the safe side jus to make sure all the ich have died(w/o the fish). As far as the shrimps, they can probably be in the tank because they cannot contract,spread nor transmit ick.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.28(Tue)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, stib718. Yeah, ich is a real bugger. : (

You're right, an extra few days to be safe is a good idea. I'll wait until Saturday before introducing Isis back to the tank.

Speaking of, here's what I have now:

(Again, only turned the light on to take the pic, don't want to fry my betta.)

I released the shrimp too. Easier to deal with only one tub instead of two. I need to find a plant that will help camoflage the equipment without taking over the tank or growing too large. Anybody have any suggestions? (Maybe I should ask in the plants forum...)
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.28(Tue)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT, but most people have there heaters horizontal rather than vertical (They work better as the thermostat isn't shutting off because of the rising hot water), that way you can put it lower down and it's easier to hide.

Another advantage is they stay submerged when you do a water change so they don't bust.

Bob
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.28(Tue)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay wrote:
Slightly OT, but most people have there heaters horizontal rather than vertical

Except that this one is not fully submersible and specifically said to not position it horizontally. : )

Bob on Stronsay wrote:
Another advantage is they stay submerged when you do a water change so they don't bust.

I unplug it while doing a water change, and using a gravel vac to siphon the water out means not having to worry about smashing against it.

Thanks though!
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.29(Wed)4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well you can't win them all Wink

Can't say I have come accross a non fully submersable heater for years.

Bob
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.01(Fri)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay wrote:
Can't say I have come accross a non fully submersable heater for years.

: ) We must be behind the times in my area, my local LFSes sell lots of them in addition to the fully-submersible types.

I'm really looking forward to being able to release Isis back into the aquarium tomorrow. It must be driving this fish crazy to be cooped up in that tub with a full view of a nice, big (by comparison) tank, but be unable to get to it!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: