Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Injury
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.13(Mon)20:04    Post subject: Injury Reply with quote

Is there any surefire way to speed up the healing of an injury. My tank is a 38 gallon with excellent water parameters (0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, between 0 - 15 nitrAte, 1.024SG, 79 degrees). I have a pair of Osc. Clowns, cleaner shrimp, seahorse, yellow watchman goby, some hermits, and a few pollyp corals, and snails. No new inhabitants have been added for over 4 months (yellow watchman last). I recently added a sump/refugium. I don't have a drilled tank so I used an external overflow.
Evidently, my goby decided to jump into the overflow (he normally doesn't explore the top of the tank at all that I've seen). I notice him in there when I got home from work. He had a good injury on one side (must have been from the wire screen in the front of the overflow box going over). Like an idiot, I tried to catch him without removing the siphon tube and he ended up going through it also. I managed to catch him in the back box, and again like an idiot I didn't run him to my quarantine tank but dropped him immediately into the main tank. I couldn't possibly catch him again now that he is back amongst my rockwork.
I've been watching his sore for about a week and a half, and it does seem to be healing well. After all my rambling, my question is: Is there anything else I should do to help it heal or just let it go. I am very soon going to be adding caulerpa to my refugium, and I know that it is supposed to have healing capabilities. I have also added stress coat a couple of times. Any advice?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.13(Mon)21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the fish alone, it sounds like it's getting better. Avoid the caulerpa, other macros will serve you better.
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.14(Tue)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better still today. I figured with healing already happening that the stress of capture would be the worst for it.

What macros would you say are preferable to caulerpa?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.14(Tue)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Researh Chaetomorpha and Gracilaria as better alternatives.
http://www.reefland.com/rho/0105/main2.php
http://www.thinkreef.com/article/50/chaetomorpha-algae
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: