Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Refugium question
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
zxghost
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)15:57    Post subject: Refugium question Reply with quote

can anyone tell me about Refugium?
are they only used for salt/reef aquariums?
and are they benefical to freshwater in anyway?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw much benefit from them in freshwater, other than hiding the heater there isn't a lot of need for a fuge as there isn't much that needs refuge. A wet/dry on the other hand does have some benefits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
zxghost
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
I never saw much benefit from them in freshwater, other than hiding the heater there isn't a lot of need for a fuge as there isn't much that needs refuge. A wet/dry on the other hand does have some benefits.

Wet/dry, like what kind of benefit? some of the refugiums and wet/dry look very similar
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can look a lot alike except a wet/dry will have bio-balls or some other large surface area media for the creation of bacteria to help break down waste. We don't do that anymore in marine systems, a refugium is where we grow macroalgae and provide a safe place for pod production and to place equipment. If you are asking this about a freshwater tank you will have much better answers in the freshwater forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
zxghost
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no, I just wanted info on it, though refugiums are for saltwater, people with the knowledge of saltwater should know this stuff, so I asked it here, not just asking for freshwater benefits, just about it in general O_O
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.06(Mon)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do some research of your own? Just google it and you can read oodles of info on refugiums, their uses, designs, stocking etc...
I could write six pages describing them but why wear out my fingers on something that already exists (rhetorical question).
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: