Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New killifish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.04(Sat)1:38    Post subject: New killifish Reply with quote

Did a trade with another killikeeper and he ended up sticking "some" extras into the bag. I'm going to have to choose 1 or two of these to keep long term so they don't take away too much space from the other fish...that will be very hard!

Rivulus iridescens. Bad photo. Look kinda like Aphyosemion striatum..but bigger.

Rivulus xiphidius male. I was worried about these when they came in but so far they seem to have settled in OK. Have heard from some people they are difficult and require soft shallow water with peat, others including the person who raised these claim they do just fine in normal water. I think I will take what worked for him and go with it and hope for the best.

Epiplatys annulatus. clown killie or rocket panchax. These guys really surprised me as they settled in minutes after being extracted(LOL...they don't like to go with the flow)from their shipping bags. I don't know who I'm going to vote off the island, but these males are sure putting in their best effort to convince me to keep them!
plus all kinds of smaller containers
bonzo
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.04(Sat)3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding fish and photo man!!!!!
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.04(Sat)4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

That male is just superb I love it Very Happy It would be good if you could start breeding them for a long run. I will go soon enough into breeding dwarf shrimps of many popular sorts (already started with the RCS).

Kind regards, Dusko.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.04(Sat)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new killies. Those at the top sure does look like my striatums. Its amazing how much they look alike.

I really like my rockets and I think you would too. But my vote would be to keep both Laughing
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.04(Sat)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko: I've been thinking of getting some RCS into the tank which the rocket killies are in. I think they'd like it, and annulatus are too small to eat anything besides newly hatched ones.

Susan: I've never seen striatums in life, but these do resemble them quite a bit. However in life the background color is a dark purplish cast. Any babies from your annulatus yet? I observed mine spawning after about the 3rd day in my tank but whether the babies will appear not sure.

LOL I sure wish I could keep all of em, but need the room for a few other killies. I am working on a paludarium project right now and it could be possible to put any of these in the water section.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any babies from your annulatus yet? I observed mine spawning after about the 3rd day in my tank but whether the babies will appear not sure.

I have had a few spawns, but very few babies. I think there has been too much inbreeding from the parents and spawn is apparently week. Need to get some new blood in there.

Here is a pic of one of my striatums. You can really mistake those for being the same if you don't know what your looking for.

Hey Dusko, I just recieved 20 young RCS myself. going to try and do some breeding there myself.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real difference I can see patternwise between that striatum and these rivulus would be the bolder stripes and tail pattern. How big is he? R. iridescens get to about 4 inches according to the previous owner.

Have you been making sure the fry get enough microcritters/greenwater type food? I've heard the fry can be difficult due to this.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonamethefish wrote:
The only real difference I can see patternwise between that striatum and these rivulus would be the bolder stripes and tail pattern. How big is he? R. iridescens get to about 4 inches according to the previous owner.

Have you been making sure the fry get enough microcritters/greenwater type food? I've heard the fry can be difficult due to this.

The big male is about 2 1/2 to 3 inchs, Kind of hard to measure.

Its not the feeding thats the problem, its the hatchings. Very few of the eggs will hatch. and several that does hatch have had some deformities so I am sure there is a lot of inbreeding with these that I have.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.07(Tue)1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've heard ANN's can be subject to inbreeding depression. Where are yours from? Sometime later, maybe we could swap.
Verse914
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.11.07(Tue)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice noname. The Rivulus xiphidius male has some awesome color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: