Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
29gallon journal
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.14(Tue)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

the green water seems to have subsided. the glass is slowly but surely being completely covered in green dust algae. I'm waiting awhile to scrape it off...if I can wait that long!!.
my plants *still* haven't come and it's getting me a bit frustrated.

the rosy barbs are munching my bacopa australis. there are huge bite marks all over the leaves..darn it Sad.
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.15(Wed)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I couldn't stop myself from wiping the glass! lol.
it's too hard when doing water changes.
I have green spot algae on my glass also after wiping the other stuff.
I am dosing 1/16tsp phosphate every other day, do I need to increase this? I don't know what my levels are because I don't have a kit for it.
I found one of the otos dead as well while doing the water change.

green spot algae
Xetox
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.16(Thu)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

terka27 wrote:
I can't see the link?

I do the 50% water changes each week since I'm dosing ei.

Sorry: http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html
Xetox
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.16(Thu)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on a side note, one thing I do with I have a algae bloom happen like that in one of my tanks is, I have a Magnum 350 hot with a micron filter. Run it for 24 hours, then do soak the filter in a 4:1 water:bleach solution over night and then rinse well and repeat. After about two cycles the bloom is gone and water is clear as ever.

Works for me. I keep a magnum 350 around just for that...
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.16(Thu)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link.

my water is actually incredibly clear right now. not sure if it will last but we shall see. I think the green water has subsided for now. it's amazing how clear it all looks after wiping down the glass. I just wish it didn't come back.
aqua-artist
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.11.16(Thu)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank looks great Smile. Wiping algae off the glass is really common and normal Wink , that's not a real problem.
But when you suffer from an algae attack I recommend that you stop adding ferts untill the problem is solved.
I also noticed that you have removed the wood Sad , I liked that wood, are you planning on putting it back in?

Cheers!
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.16(Thu)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Very Happy.

I removed the wood because the java fern and anubias nana were being severly attacked by algae while the other plants weren't.
I'm waiting on some foreground plants and I'll probably add that instead of wood.
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.20(Mon)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

the left side is not growing nearly as well. one of the plants that I have in there (not sure what kind it is) is not doing well in this 29g or the 10g. when my plants come (they got lost in the mail so they had to be sent out again) I will be replacing some of the left side. I can't wait for the foreground plants to get here! I hope they do well.
the amazon sword will be placed into my 55g and hopefully won't die since it's not set up for plants, but I don't really want to throw it out.
I wish that when I had bought the new lights I would have gotten the ones with the double strip of lights instead of the single. I can tell that the closer the plants get to the light the better they seem to do. the one that is touching the very top has some nice red to it that the lower leaves don't. the lower leaves tend to have a bit of algae on them as well.

terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.29(Wed)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

today after a water change. I cut some of the plants on the left that were touching the top and put them in my 10g.

before the prune

the10g, you can see the plants I put in on your right.

and my anubias nana is flowering in my 5g! I'm super excited.

in other news..my plants *still* haven't come and I'm pretty sure if they do they will be dead. at least the guy is willing to give me a refund. it's just unfortunate because I'll just have to order them from somewhere else. I really need some foreground plants!.
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't posted in awhile.
I trimmed a bunch of plants and moved some around. the left side is growing like crazy while the other side is a bit slow. I am having a bit of a problem with algae on the glass (as you can clearly see!). I havent' scraped it off in a couple of weeks and might with the water change tomorrow.
then there is some green gunk growing on some of the slower growing plants.
I haven't been able to find any foreground plants around here which is unfortunate as the tank doesn't really have any sort of "order" to it, at least it's looking A LOT better than my 10gallon which is very neglected (still keeping up with the ferts and water changes but not doing so good with the co2), it needs more flourite.

Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: