Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
29gallon journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.02(Thu)15:00    Post subject: 29gallon journal Reply with quote

just thought I'd start a journal here as well to show my attempt at starting a planted tank.

I have one 65watt coralife light and the 20watt that came with the tank.
2 diy co2 bottles.
7 tiger barbs and 4 otos.

this is what it started off looking like with fake plants

added in some java fern and anubias nana

threw in a bunch of plants with one fake plant left (at this point I think I got some new lights too)

the rest of my plants came in the mail...they looked a little bad

they perked up in a couple of days and I added another diy co2.

some growth but also algae on the leaves of the plants. also added a couple of new plants

the algae issue. especially taking over the java fern

pulled out the left side of the plants and cut them because the lower parts of them were looking really bad. should have done that when they got here.
took out the java fern because it was being covered. plopped it into my 5gallon.

I think the fact that I stirred everything up just set up a bunch of algae to start attacking the sides of the glass. things are growing but so is the algae

I've ordered a bunch of other plants that will hopefully get here next week sometime.
any other fish I can add or am I pretty much at my limit?
Quanito
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.02(Thu)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouchhhhhhhhh!! too much light NOT enough CO2 makes green algae happy!!
You better use pressurized or co2 powerhead injection instead of ladders. Believe me I've tried ladder once and they really suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.02(Thu)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did up my co2 recently and when I test the pH/KH it shows I have around 22-26ppm for co2. I think the problem is that I stirred it all up?.
I'm going to see how it goes for a little bit more. most of the algae is just on the glass.
I'm doing the waiting method like some others suggested...waiting 2-3 weeks and then scraping it off the glass.
if that really doesn't work then I'll look into pressurized co2, I just really don't have the money for it yet.
Xetox
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.03(Fri)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great site for DIY forced reactor for your DIY c02 setup. Just scroll to the bottom of the page.

I built the same type of setup that is on that page and did the entire thing for under 40 bucks

I would use it and also do a weekly water change until you get that alge bloom under control.
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.03(Fri)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the link?

I do the 50% water changes each week since I'm dosing ei.
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.05(Sun)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

things are still growing. I scraped the front of the glass but not the back (the back is covered in green, not in diatoms). I added 3 rosy barbs.
it's hard to see how much algae is actually on the leaves. it's just covered in a little bit of algae but I'm not sure what kind it is. the water continues to be murky, despite the 50% weekly water change. I'm still thinking of going the pressurized co2 route but lack of money right now.
it's interesting because my 10gallon has completely different algae than this 29 and so does my 5.
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.07(Tue)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

started doing 25% water change yesterday and today and am doing a 50% water change tomorrow and will add fertilizers. I'm hoping this will help the green water a little bit at least. I really don't want to have to buy a uv sterilizer or do a blackout! :p.
rummy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.09(Thu)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

tanks looking sweet , just a quik question what site do you go to too buy your plants?

thanks a lot

rummy
terka27
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.09(Thu)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

rummy - some of those plants came from my local lfs. the other ones I got from here: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Aquadise

Smile
rummy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.09(Thu)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot

rummy
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: