Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sick tang?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mat167
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.20(Fri)18:13    Post subject: sick tang? Reply with quote

I just bought a used aquarium from someone who has had it for 3 years without any real problems. it is a 50 gallon fish only tank with canister filter, plenty of live rock, and an external skimmer. it also came with a maroon clown (about 3-4 inches long) and a yellow tang (same size) and I just noticed that the tang's stomache seems to be caving in on the sides....the salt concentration was fairly low when I got it (about 1.016 sg) and I did a water test it showed ammonia level of 1.0 mg/l. the temperature was also relatively low at around 23 degrees celsius. I would just like to know if this is possibly due to the water conditions and/or stress or maybe something more. thanks for your time
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.21(Sat)0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tang's pinched stomach is cause for concern but not as bad as the ammonia. I assume you moved the tank?
Moving an established tank is very stressful on the livestock.
Please take your fish to a local retailer who can watch them for a few weeks until your system stablizes and all traces of ammonia and/or nitrite are gone.
Mat167
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.21(Sat)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, I've already brought him to my retailer for a diagnosis. I brought out my tang and maroon clown (the only two fish there) and I used a product called "Ammo-Lock" to speed up the process. I know using products as such is usually frowned upon, but I'd rather not leave my fish at the store. anyway, thanks again
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.22(Sun)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water changes my friend...

as for Ammo Lock 2; (quoting from a retailer):
"Ammo lock doesn't remove ammonia. In converts ammonia to a non-toxic form. So test kits will still show positive for ammonia."
Laughing

http://www.aquariumguys.com/ammolock28oz.html
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: