Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
aquarium desk
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
geoff
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.31(Mon)4:04    Post subject: aquarium desk Reply with quote

g'day, I have been obsessed with making this desk for the last week and want to get it built and out of my mind. I have been spending every night about half an hour looking at an already strong design. my Autocad is playing up so I have been forced to do it by hand.

description:

I will hold a 4 foot tank(121.9cm), 2 foot 3in high (68.6cm) and 2 foot wide (61cm). the tank will be about 114.3 gallons (432L) and about 432 kg, there will be 6 legs on the table.

also to support this weight there are 5 supporting stuts running in paralell under the tank and another 3 larger ones supporting those which are directly sloted, not screwed, but sloted into the legs (screws are only to hold them in place). under the main tank there will be a storage cabnet, 65cm high (25.6in) and almost the length of the tank holding an external filter, air pump, food, electronics, testing material, medication, etc. (mum's always fussing about the mess on the bench next to my current tank Rolling Eyes ) the bench will be made completly out of wood. also there will be 4 peices of wood sorrounding all of this to hide the equipment with a pair of doors each 35cm wide.

the heater and filter will be used from my current tank, the rest of which will be sold because I don't have the space for two tanks which are 100L and above.

Is this all a bit too excessive? if so please let me know because I am trying to find ways to cut down on cost.
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.08.12(Sat)5:47    Post subject: Aquarium Desk Reply with quote

One thing to be careful with this aquarium desk design is to verify whether the cabinet can hold the weight of the water and you will definitely need foam on the bottom of the fish tank. The foam will provide cushioning or insulation for fish tank and the cabinet.

Good luck and keep me up to date with photos.

from Josh
geoff
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.14(Mon)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but is 6 legs too many for a 432L tank?
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)3:13    Post subject: Aquarium Desk Reply with quote

I admit I am no building expert but all I am saying beware of the water weight of the fish tank compared to the cabinets strength capacity to hold. I have heard of many horror stories of people building cabinets under fish tanks and watching the structure collaspe due to the water weight. Another thing I be weary of is to make sure there is styrofoam between the cabinets and the fish tank for insultaion otherwise undulation or other defects will make the fish tank split open.

I just mention this so you aware of possible drama if you do not prepare yourself.

from Josh
redmum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

Sounds like a good idea, but like Josh said, just make sure there is enough supoprt ALL along the bottom of the tank (cross bars etc.) and styro is a must.

You are in SE QLD? The Petcetra on Blackwood st, in Mitchelton has only just installed a (huge) 900ltr tank under their desk. The may have some advice for you regarding strength etc. Or even practical concerns they came across. Theirs is quite low to the floor, which would make the support a bit easier to do...

Good luck! Post your pics when you start, Very Happy
anna

190ltr freshwater tank
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.30(Sat)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the 6 legs be 2x4s? I'd recommend 2x6s, as they more evenly distribute the weight of a tank that large.

I'd also recommend adjustable steel "feet" for each of the 4 corners beneath your base, as you can screw them accordingly to level off the tank on at least 2 axis before you fill it with water- a lot better than using wood shims. Never count on the floor surface under your aquarium to be level.

Hope this helps.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: