Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Will stand hold???
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)0:34    Post subject: Will stand hold??? Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm not to sure were to post this topic. I guess you can consider a stand as equipment so hopefully this is the right place. Maybe I should have posted it under the disaster forum Wink Please feel free to move this topic to a more appropiate place.

Anyways, I have a Jebo R375 tank on a wooden drawer cabinet. Please see the pictures and tell me if this will hold?

http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02755.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02756.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02758.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02759.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02759.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02761.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02762.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02763.JPG
http://jan.decisionworx.com/pics/DSC02764.JPG

The place that I bought it from is offering a stand that is custom made for R375 model. But its too short and ugly. I like my tank to be on eye level. Don't mind climbing up a ladder to do maintance.

PS: you might see some fish. The tank is still cycling, there was a technical error and I had to put in my old fish in the new tank. I am however using a sock with gravel from old tank, old filter media and Nutrivec to help seed and speed up the cycling process.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with a stand for my 11 gallons Shrimp tank. It was a bit wobbly Laughing and very risky. So what I did is, I bought two small "L" shape metal pieces, fixing the whole structure to the wall. Two are enough (one on each side) for 10 gallons, but you can go with 4 pieces. It will be more secure. The L pieces should be fixed on the upper part of the stand IME.

Kind regards, Dusko.
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that should do the trick. Unfortunatly I can't drill holes in the wall. I'm renting the place and are under contract. Plus my wife won't be too keen on me drilling holes in her cabinet.
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank has been up on that cabinet for the past 6 days without any problem. Is that a good sign? Can one assume with time that this thing is holding?

What else can I do to reinforce a bit?

Thanks.
brianD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks sturdy enough to me. take how many gallons the tank is and mutliply it by 8.3 and it will give you a number of pounds for your tank.
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

jandt wrote:
Thanks that should do the trick. Unfortunatly I can't drill holes in the wall. I'm renting the place and are under contract. Plus my wife won't be too keen on me drilling holes in her cabinet.

Your wife may not be too keen on several gallons of water, flapping fish and broken glass on your apartment floor, either.

Personally, I hate using anything not specifically designed to support an aquarium. While you might get away with this, I'd still ditch the bureau and try custom-building a stand if your aquarium weighs much more than 45Kg (100 lbs.)- if for anything else, for extra piece of mind.

One more reason not to use that bureau as a stand- water & tank frame indenture marks that will be left on the bureau (over a long period of time) which will ruin the finish (this will be an issue with your wife should you return the bureau to its originally-intended purpose for service).

If you insist on using the bureau as a stand, I echo Dusko's idea- just make sure that those corner braces are secured into wall studs. Sheetrock alone will not brace the bureau to the wall, I can guarantee you that. And as for your landlord/contract- drill anyway. Hide the braces from plain sight and if you relocate, cover the holes in the wall with drywall compound and repaint. If you're not comfortable doing this, or negotiating with your landlord, ditch the bureau.

Above all else- whatever stand option you choose, be certain that the aquarium is secure and perfectly level.
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some calculations and the tank, water, gravel, etc comes to about 150 kg. Here in South Africa we use liters and kilograms.

A 150 kilograms sounds like a lot. I think one kilo is 2.2 pounds. So that is 330pounds. On the pictures it look smaller than it is in real life - I should have stated the weight from the beginning.
Taking that we have more info now, do you guys still think it will hold?
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to get the tank off. I don't want to buy a stand in the shops, as I said they are short, ugly and expensive. I want to make I stand myself.

Any ideas? One probably want some sort of inner steal structure that are framed with wood. Unfortenatly I don't have the resources available to me to make a stand. I will have to do it over off weekends spread over a few months. Visiting in law family in order to use their tools. Rolling Eyes

Anyways it should be fine for the next month or two. I'm of to the drawing board to design a stand. Please, input welcome. I will post a picture when the stand is finished.

Thanks.
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

jandt wrote:
I really want to get the tank off. I don't want to buy a stand in the shops, as I said they are short, ugly and expensive. I want to make I stand myself.

Any ideas? One probably want some sort of inner steal structure that are framed with wood. Unfortenatly I don't have the resources available to me to make a stand. I will have to do it over off weekends spread over a few months. Visiting in law family in order to use their tools. Rolling Eyes

Anyways it should be fine for the next month or two. I'm of to the drawing board to design a stand. Please, input welcome. I will post a picture when the stand is finished.

Thanks.

If the cabinet was made of particle board, you probably would've been posting a different topic in the "diseases and disasters" forum.

Carefully inspect the frame of the cabinet for stress cracks, warping, etc- if you see none, you're clear for now. Keep checking it daily.

As for a custom-built stand, you don't need steel as a frame. 2x4 and 2x6 untreated lumber will do just fine for a stand frame. I recently constructed one for a 33.66g tank and it won't fail unless I destroy it myself. I'll post pictures of it shortly in another thread in the DIY forum for your convienience.

More on this later. Good luck.
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Angry Andy.

Trust me I'm checking it first thing in the morning, when I go to work, when I come back from work, during the evening, before I go to sleep, when I wake up in the middle of the night - Any time I get a chance.

I think it is made of of oak. The dark color is due to wood staining and varnishing.

Using 2x4 and 2x6 will be easier and faster to work with than steel.

I found your pics under the "33.66 USG tank wood stand" topic. Thanks a lot.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: