Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
33.66 USG tank wood stand
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)12:45    Post subject: 33.66 USG tank wood stand Reply with quote

Using untreated 2x4s (bottom and top box frames) and 2x6s (legs and leg struts) and S2 self-tapping 2.5" wood screws:
http://angryandy.net/images/other/photos/20060923_08284.jpg
http://angryandy.net/images/other/photos/20060923_08285.jpg

Note the orientation of the butt joints on the top box frame; these joints allow the entire perimeter of the frame to sit directly on each of the legs, distributing the tank's weight more evenly over the entire structure.

Cornerboard trim secured to the base, untreated 1x6s lining the shelf and the top of the frame, creating a reccessed pocket for the tank to "sit" in.
http://angryandy.net/images/other/photos/20060924_08288.jpg
http://angryandy.net/images/other/photos/20060924_08289.jpg

I removed the diagonal 2x6 brace (cosmetic alteration).

Painted stand now in use:
http://angryandy.net/images/other/photos/20061005_08439.jpg

Since installation, I temporarily moved the shelf up a few inches to accomodate a Fluval 205 canister filter. More modifications to come next spring.
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stand.

How long did it take you? How long is the screws that you used?

From what I heard for acrylic you need a table top; a complete flat surface spanning the whole of the tank's bottom surface. Glass aqauriums are more than happy to just sit on the edges of the frame. One can just add a "table top" to the stand and then your ready to go for acrylic tanks as well.

I want to make my own stand. Certain factors are pushing me to get it done as soon as possible (Refer to the "will this tank hold???" topic in the DIY forum) so if you don't mind I'll use this design as a guideline. I will need to add a table top to give a complete flat surface for my acrylic tank. Also I want the stand to be closed, so I'll add some panels to the side and opening doors to the front.
jandt
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I see you stated what screws you used.

Just another question. What is the dimensions of the stand, specifically the hight? I like my tank to be on eye level. For this my stand needs to have a hight of 120 centimeters. I'm a bit on the short side.

Will a hight of 1.2 meters make a difference in the efficiency of holding the tank of such a structure? I'm asking this, because I can't seem to find a stand in the shops that are higher than 75 centimeters. Just wondered if there is a reason for this.
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

jandt wrote:
Nice stand.

How long did it take you?

Thanks.

Took me nearly 3 days to complete (to its present state).

jandt wrote:
From what I heard for acrylic you need a table top; a complete flat surface spanning the whole of the tank's bottom surface. Glass aqauriums are more than happy to just sit on the edges of the frame. One can just add a "table top" to the stand and then your ready to go for acrylic tanks as well.

Makes sense. While acrylic may be labeled as "100 times stronger than conventional glass", it will bend under pressure. 5/8" or 1/2" plywood should suffice as a suitable mounting surface for an acrylic tank.

jandt wrote:
I want to make my own stand. Certain factors are pushing me to get it done as soon as possible (Refer to the "will this tank hold???" topic in the DIY forum) so if you don't mind I'll use this design as a guideline. I will need to add a table top to give a complete flat surface for my acrylic tank. Also I want the stand to be closed, so I'll add some panels to the side and opening doors to the front.

I'm well aware of your situation. Hopefully, your bureau will hold up long enough for you to construct or obtain a much more suitable piece of furniture.

I don't mind you using my design at all. Anyone else thinking of building their own stand is more than welcome to use my template.

I'm also welcoming criticism, especially from experienced carpenters or engineers. I'm wasting no time brainstorming for future alterations that I will complete next spring; they include but are not limited to the following:

- lining the top of the stand's frame (specifically where the tank edges make contact) w/ 2-4 layers of 1/16" black roofing rubber. (This material is in vast surplus around the house, and it is time I put some of it to good use.) Purpose: to cushion the tank's base against the frame and to further reduce the chance of long-term stress cracks. This should be a sufficient alternative to styrofoam.

- covering the outer perimeter of the stand's legs with 3/8" plywood sheets, including the back. Access holes will be cut out where deemed neccessary for equipment cables & hoses to be fed through (Fluval intake/output hoses, air pump hosing, surge supressor A/C cord, etc) Purpose: to increase visual appeal

- installing two doors on the front, spanning the length of the gap in between the two front legs; doors will be held closed by push-release magnets.

- raising the two 10" leg struts to support the shelf in its current position.

- lining the entire interior surfaces with the aforementioned roofing rubber, and lining the base shelf with at least 4 layers. Purpose: to minimize vibrations and noise emitting from the Elite Maxima air pump

I will also power sand almost the entire exterior surface (many of them have some lingering rough spots, burrs, etc) and repaint.

Questions? Suggestions?

jandt wrote:

Just another question. What is the dimensions of the stand, specifically the hight?

The frame length measures 36.5", the width is 13" and the height is 36". While it's not "eye-level", it's quite a suitable height for most anyone to view the tank, even small children. I stand at approximately 5' 8.5", and with a tank 18" tall, I can barely get my hand inside to the bottom w/o a boost.

jandt wrote:
Will a hight of 1.2 meters make a difference in the efficiency of holding the tank of such a structure? I'm asking this, because I can't seem to find a stand in the shops that are higher than 75 centimeters. Just wondered if there is a reason for this.

Slightly lower than eye-level heights for tank stands appeal to aquarists who regularly reach their hands into the tank for maintanance. Some people don't like getting on a stool or a step ladder to service their tank. Others don't care one way or another. Stand height is a factor based mostly on personal preference.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: