Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black African Knife Fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
golddigger
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)17:31    Post subject: Black African Knife Fish Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find to much info on this fish. I didn't see anything in the gallery, only the black Ghost Knife Fish. Are these two similar? Its a beautiful fish, and one I would like keep, but I am not sure about it. My husband brought it home, cause he liked the way it looked (that is not how I choose my fish). So now that I have him, I need some info about this fish. Anything would be helpful!
Thanks

P.S. I have 55gal with about 12 other fish. He hasn't eaten any yet!
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is web page with some info:

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Knife,%20African.htm

Knifefish are not all that well studied so I'm not really able to give any more info that this page.
They do like to hide though and are generally nocturnal. Apparently they can become tame but I can't back that claim up I'm affraid.
I've always wanted to get a Black Ghost for my tank but they are so expensive and I'd never see it again with all the plants in there!
golddigger
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.07(Sat)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I have found some info on the web, but I was hoping with all the experienced fish friends here...that someone who has one would say a few words. Thanks again
golddigger
Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.07(Sat)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops...ps...I forgot to thank you for the that link....that was a great source of info. Thanks!
Fishpaste
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.07(Sat)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Golddigger,

Just wanted to know how big this guy is at the moment?I have had one before but had to sell it due to the fact that I had to move country mine was about 8-9 inches when I left.

Cheers
Fishpaste
mackenzie5
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)6:10    Post subject: african knife fish Reply with quote

Hi
I am from Australia, I had a look at the picture on the web site and from the look of this fish it is what we call the brown ghost knife fish a close relation to the black ghost knife fish.

just thought you would like to know.don't know how true it is, I was told this by a salesman at pets paradise. :roll:
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the kind of black knife you are refering to

If so, you are looking at a fish that will outgrow your tank. The one in the pic is in a 75 gal and he grew 18 inches in just a couple of years. They do like to hide in tubes and such. Mine hid in the castle a lot, but I had him tame enough to eat out of my fingers. So if I was near the tank he was out. He also
liked to play in the bubbles.

They are easily trained to eat out of your fingers with enough patience and you mustn't react to the slight shock you get from the electrical impulses that they use to find food. Mine was tame enough that I could almost pet him. He would always check out my hand when I was working in the tank.

I ended up donating mine to the local zoo here. I still go in and see him once a month when I get to go to our club meetings.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, the one in your photo is the South American black ghost knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons) which we have in the Gallery. This topic is about the African knifefish (Xenomystus nigri) which isn't related (it's closer to arowanas) and grows to about half the size of a BGK.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
alfagator
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)23:14    Post subject: Black African Knife fish Reply with quote

Hey Golddigger,
I too purchased a couple of these, mainly due to the unique way they can swim. Its almost as if they float in space. Having two, I notice they don't seem to tolerate each other well, although they havent hurt each other. Its very interesting to watch them tho as they seem to "dance" chasing each other with their unique swimming style. I have seperated them for now untill I get my 130 gal set up. They were in a 35 gal. They need the room as they can be territorial. They will eat just about anything that will fit in their mouths, so neons wouldnt be a good tank mate. Their mouths look small untill they open their jaws. Another interesting fact is they will bark when excited or in a mating mood, ( not to change your "bark back at you" philosophy on fish Wink ) They are extremely shy and need lots of hiding places, they can easily be viewed with the light off at night and a soft background light. They are also nearly blind and "see" via sonar or their electrical senses. It is weak compared to elephant nose fish and other similar fish. I am trying to keep them off live fish as I don't like using feeders other than the occasional ghost shrimp. They love blood worms. They also have very small scales and shouldnt be treated with most medications. Treat them as you would loaches, rid-ich is OK at about 3/4 strength. Never use a copper medication.
This is from my expieriences only, I can't seem to find much info on the net either. If anyone can add or correct anything it would be appreciated.
I love these fish and hope to learn more as well.
Hope this helps
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
Susan, the one in your photo is the South American black ghost knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons) which we have in the Gallery. This topic is about the African knifefish (Xenomystus nigri) which isn't related (it's closer to arowanas) and grows to about half the size of a BGK.

Got a email from her and what she has is like the one in my photo. The names had been mixed up. The fish in question is the BGK
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: