Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Skimmer help or newby!!!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Archer
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.02(Mon)11:26    Post subject: Skimmer help or newby!!! Reply with quote

Got my system up and running and turned the skimmer on today.I have a weipro SA-2011.I have never used a skimmer before and am obviously doing something wrong!!! Rolling Eyes
The powerhead is pumping water into the skimmer but the waste collector cup is just filling with water and leaking.I have tried turning the water flow down but what should I be aiming at? The skimmer had no instructions with it and I'm not even sure how it works.All else failing I'll go back to the supplier tomorrow for advice but would like to get it sorted ASAP.
Thanks
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.02(Mon)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi archer,

Your skimmer should have an adjustment valve on the returnline (the line where water exits the skimmer). Adjusting this should vary the bubble level inside the skimmer. You should aim to have the bubble level at, or near the point that the inner tube narrows inside the collection cup. When observing the skimmer in a tank with excess nutrients, you should see some greenish bubble film slowly rise and spill into the collection cup. How fast this film (skimmate) fills the cup depends on how you want to skim.

Some people wet skim. This fills the cup faster (perhaps every one to three days) and the skimmate is light green in colour. This is more effective in removing excess nutrients but requires more regular emptying of the collection cup.

Others dry skim. This slowly fills the cup with a dark green skimmate (perhaps over 4-7 days). It is less efficient but allows some leeway for the newcomer as it fills the cup slowly.

As your skill improves you can tweak the skimmer more.

I would suggest gaining some practice and understanding of your skimmers output by using the collection cup only at first. After you get the hang of it you can attach a hose to the small nipple on the cup (assuming there is one) and feed the skimmate into a larger container. This allows you to wet skim more efficiently and dump less often. Don`t do this right away because... if your skimmer overfills the cup you could drain the sump out the tube. Using the cup only at first means at worst you will spill the cup back into the sump.
If your skimmer still doesn`t settle down after adjusting the valve try raising the unit up a bit in the sump (put it on something). The water level of the sump can affect the skimmers output.
Last of all, when emptying the collection cup make sure you clean it well. Allowing the scum to stick to the walls impedes the upflow of skimmate into the cup and reduces its performance.
Hope this helps,
Good luck.
Archer
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.03(Tue)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale
thanks that helps a lot.I've got it working ...got 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup since last night.Its a mid-green colour.Will keep an eye on it and see how we go.
Once again,thankyou for your help
Very Happy
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: