Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
MH Bulbs: Single-Ended or Double-Ended
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the 400 watters, the par isn't that great when compared to the heat they give off and the elect. they consume. Stick with 250 watt bulbs.

If you are still going with a pre-made fixture, most are designed around DE bulbs, not SE. If your are getting a fixture that takes DE bulbs it is fruitless to look at SE bulbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're looking for a put-together unit, not a retro fit/DIY setup, then I would recommend Hamilton fixtures. Hamilton makes a quality product.

coralife and current USA are more affordable.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamilton, Maristar, PFO etc...there are some good units out there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....should I look at retrofit kits?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.04(Wed)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no hood how exactly is that going to work? What are you going to retro into? You either have to make a canopy to put a retro kit into or buy a pre-made fixture.
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

what jack said... a retro kit will save you money, but it's useless without a hood to retro fit it into... Smile

put together kits will come with legs or hanging mounts...

these fixtures are all put together for you
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.05(Thu)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I like those ballast kits, but I don't think I'll need the actinics. If I want a deep-water effect, I'll get 20K bulbs. I like how the moonlights are built in. So the MH bulbs and actinic bulbs are part of the package? I hope not, because they don't give specifics on which brand, so they may be giving me cruddy bulbs. Nonetheless, I like this ballast and I think I'll get it. Also, can you answer my questions. Technically this thread is finished, but I'd rather not start another just for the sake of getting these questions answered.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coralife actintic bulbs have a nice color and there is no reason not to use them. For that tank you need the par of the 10k bulbs especially since they are only 150 watt bulbs in the fixture. I would use 250 watt on a 90 gallon tank because of the heighth.
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope not, because they don't give specifics on which brand, so they may be giving me cruddy bulbs. Nonetheless, I like this ballast and I think I'll get it.

Whatever bulbs they give you, when it's time to replace them, go w/ Aqualine or Ushio 10ks. You get good PAR ratings, but more importantly, Aqualine and Ushios will typically out last the cheaper MH bulbs. I believe it was Anthony Calfo who used a PAR meter instead of a rule of thumb to replace his bulbs and his ushios and aqualines were lasting about 2yrs with good output.

Also, as you are planning a mixed reef environment, I'd suggest your only "sps" be some montis. they are a relatively hardy and less aggressive than most of the acros. Even better, go with an all montipora tank. The reef garden look is everywhere, a species specific tank is not only less prone to problems down the road as corals that don't like to touch begin to touch, but the monti's come in all shapes, sizes and colors and will be able to devote their energy to growth instead of growth and rebuilding when other corals damage them.

Also keep in mind that corals are more adaptable to lower light levels than vice versa, in fact, too much light can create photoinhibition, so your mixed reef idea would probably do best w/ 2x 10k 150w bulbs in a 90g tank. here's a good article on reef lighting

And another one... :0)
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.06(Fri)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've always wanted a Fiji biotope. I thought that was a "reef garden" with Fiji-native corals, inverts, fish, etc. Since I'm doing a biotope(not neccessarily Fiji) that won't be a "reef garden", what group of coral would you recommend? I'm looking for a pretty diverse group, sort of like how you said montiporas "come in all shapes, sizes and colors". Also, where do you buy your corals? I'm using Live Aquaria.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: