Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blue ringed octopus
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.09.29(Fri)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll confirm that one, mantis shrimp are tasty. In HK there are a few restaurants where they have the seafood market stall attached, simply pick what you want out of the tanks and go into the restaurant and wait for it to be cooked. One of my favourites was a deep-fried mantis shrimp dish, it was quite a while ago so I can't remember exactly what it was called. I usually ended up eating most of the shell too because it was crispy and too much of a bother to pick off. Sure wouldn't want to be the guy who had to continually fish out the mantis shrimp from the tank though.

And I didn't notice a octopus needing a size advantage with sharks! (Here if you haven't seen it)

Last edited by unissuh on 2006.09.29(Fri)8:14; edited 1 time in total
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.09.29(Fri)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantis definately have the cool factor in their favor...I still want one someday but will skip on the octo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
alohamonte
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.29(Fri)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mantis shrimp are all over the place here. No biggie, I've caught them with my hands (NOT in the ala wai). I thought blue-rings were small, that could have been an adult. Just a few inches across yeah?

I wouldnt touch the water, forget about eating anything out of the ala wai... and for good reason

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/01/ln/FP604010334.html

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/06/ln/FP604060343.html

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/08/ln/FP604080336.html

Lobster my a$$!
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.02(Mon)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more background on that Blue Ring/Stomatopod video and those who made it...
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7366
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.02(Mon)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s quite interesting F.B.
Sadly... the octopus is dead.
It did not survive the acclimation process (just as well in a sense) but a total waste of a living creature just the same.

and... with this post I now have a hat trick in the marine subforums Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.02(Mon)21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Blue Rings have killed at least a FEW humans, I still felt a bit sorry for the little guy... fact is; humans eat millions of shrimp and octopus every year so now I'm trying to find a video of someone dropping some calamari in front of Rosanne Barr...

Curious thing about the Blue Ring; there is no antidote for the saliva-delivered venom; it's a painless bite... when you get bit your tongue and lips get numb and you just slowly stop breathing. Your body shuts down its breathing pattern and if you can get onto a ventilator or assisted breathing for 6-12 hours the venom wears off and your body starts breathing again and you survive. Victims remain aware and conscious during this entire time, kinda like a zombie. Shocked
Picasso Trigger
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.24(Fri)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
sirreal63 wrote:
I confess I would love to have the ultimate hunter in a tank big enough to house one.

Ultimate hunter eh? Twisted Evil

http://www.reefcentral.com/vid/bluering/bluering_content.html

that is so mean that video I am disgusted feeding an endangered animal to a mantis shrimp whoever made that video should have his/her heart ripped out on a stick I feel dirty just having watched it those animals deserve our utmost respect not just being thrown 8in to get brutally destroyed for someones sick @$$ amusement
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.24(Fri)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get all high and mighty read the rest of the story. This was a scientific experiment, not a sick prank for amusement.

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7366

I hope you realize that this and like scenarios are played out on a daily basis all over the world. Do you enjoy fried chicken? Ever been to a chicken farm? Steak is nice...been to a slaughter house lately? Go check out a commercial fish farm sometime. Ever see a lion capture and eat? A snake snatch a baby bird? Ever see the family cat catch and eat a mouse? Ever see a Picasso Trigger munch an invert? Mother Nature does not provide flake food.

You see where I am going with this? It is called life and it usually brutal. The science behind the video may not interest you, but it is what we have to do to learn about the world around us and that has been our story since we figured out we could learn from our world. It is a far less harsh video than most you will see. If you had bothered to read the rest of the thread you would have read the scientist's explanation of the video and what it represents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.25(Sat)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG... I just watched that shark vs. octopus video. That's unbelievable! I can't believe an octopus could actually attack a shark! My gosh... they certainly are predatory.

I must admit though, I still feel pretty sorry for the poor little blue-ring! Can't believe a mantis would actually attack it. They're vicious little things. At least it was for research purposes though.

*makes mental note to swim fast if I see an octopus* Razz
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: