Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
feeding fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jonjbck
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.23(Wed)12:30    Post subject: feeding fish Reply with quote

hello I havant got any fish yet for my tank but I'm doing well I have had my tank for 3 weeks with LR and a snail and a red legged crab with live sand I was just wondering when I do get my fish and I find out what to feed them and so on...... will I had to feed them twice a day or just the once? but I'm aint gonna get fish just yet as I want to sort me coral out first but I was just wondering thanks. jonjbck
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.23(Wed)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the fish you may not have to feed daily. I feed mine every few days and they are fat and happy. Some fish require more frequent feedings, research the fish before you buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
jonjbck
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.23(Wed)13:55    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

cheer's for that I will look that up, I might buy a clown fish first just to start off and a damsel fish "blue devil"
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.29(Tue)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jonjbck,

Welcome aboard Smile

How big is your tank? I ask because, although small, a blue devil damsel can be a very aggressive fish, as can most damsels. The clown fish is also a damsel though generally not as aggressive. Putting both in a small tank could lead to trouble.

The blue devil is beautiful, very hardy and commonly used to cycle tanks but as stated, it may be aggressive to many other future tank mate selections so it may be a stocking choice you will regret down the road.

In a small tank I would consider one or the other and leave it at that. In a larger tank I would lean toward the clown to reduce possible harm to the other fauna. But that's just me.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.30(Wed)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Dale. My first Blue Devil was a pretty good fish didn't bother anybody. I love the color so I got another when I started this new tank. Well lets just say he wasn't too nice lol. I added a small royal gramma to the tank and the devil immediately went after him. Cornering him in a rock for 3 straight days. Everytime he tried to come out he would chase him right back in. Sooooo the blue devil is now living in the 20 gallon Refugium. Maybe the Gramma can get something to eat now. Down there he can have to whole thing to himself and guard my frags Wink
jonjbck
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.30(Wed)10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guy's and yes I have been reading up on them both and yes, they are a bit agressive. so I still havant decided my tank isnt that big iver its 120 litre, 20 gallon, so I can't put a lot in there really is there any advise on what fish would be ideal? thanks.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.30(Wed)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal would be no fish. I wouldn't put more than two smaller fish in there. A pair of Percs would be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
jonjbck
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.30(Wed)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't bother then I'll take it all back.
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.30(Mon)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 120 liter tank you could probably have more than just two percula clowns, as long as their tankmates weren't damsels. Maybe a goby or something. I'm just saying, percs don't get that big (3.5 in), so you'd have a lot of empty tank.

Jack
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.30(Mon)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you decide on the coral stocking list then work on what fish if any are OK. 20 gallons isn't a lot after you subtract out the rock and sand, soft corals would be OK and be tolerant of the fish waste more easily than a hard coral would be.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: