Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how big?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
magafish18
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.22(Tue)21:00    Post subject: how big? Reply with quote

I'm thibnking about getting a pond but how many gallons should I get? I want to keep 10 koi.
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.23(Wed)4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look just a few posts down in this same forum, you will see that full grown koi can get to about three feet long. They can also live about as long as a human. Depending on where you live, the pond will also need to be deep enough to not freeze through, and/or to stay cool in hot weather.
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=36014

I'd think in the ballpark of ten to fifteen thousand gallons. Just to give you some perspective, the preformed ponds they sell at the home improvement stores are about two hundred gallons.
The cost of construction alone would run in the thousands of dollars, even if you did a lot of the work yourself. Not to mention the cost of maintenance.

Koi are not beginner pond fish. If you want to try doing a pond, I suggest you start out with a small container garden in a lined half-whiskey barrel and a few mollies, platies, or mosquitofish. Or, if you want to do the pre-formed pond liners in a larger size, you could get a couple of comets.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: