Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Starting out...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sennet
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)13:34    Post subject: Starting out... Reply with quote

Hey everybody! I just got into aquariums, I am 15 years old and I have always had a love of fish, but have just now decided to get into fish-keeping. Now, I have had a 10 gallon tank for awhile, and like most people I'm sure I wanted to upgrade straight to a 100 gallon, but my parents want me to start with the 10 gallon. I also wanted to start with a saltwater set up, but I've heard (And everybody will confirm I'm sure) that it's much better to start with freshwater. I don't know anybody else into fish at all really, so I'm asking for any suggestions for good starter fish, tank supplies, etc. Any replies are welcome, I just need to realize I can't start out with Snowflake morays and Blue spotted stingrays! Thanks in advance!
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have your heart set on fish in this 10g? If you're willing to go fishless then a 10g salt water tank is do-able. If you really want fish, then it gets really tough to keep a tiny nano SW tank.

If fish is what you want, then I'd strongly suggest fresh water.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)17:11    Post subject: Re: Starting out... Reply with quote

sennet wrote:
Hey everybody! I just got into aquariums, I am 15 years old and I have always had a love of fish, but have just now decided to get into fish-keeping. Now, I have had a 10 gallon tank for awhile, and like most people I'm sure I wanted to upgrade straight to a 100 gallon, but my parents want me to start with the 10 gallon. I also wanted to start with a saltwater set up, but I've heard (And everybody will confirm I'm sure) that it's much better to start with freshwater. I don't know anybody else into fish at all really, so I'm asking for any suggestions for good starter fish, tank supplies, etc. Any replies are welcome, I just need to realize I can't start out with Snowflake morays and Blue spotted stingrays! Thanks in advance!
Hmmm, you sound like a smart young person...
You know I started about your age, and I did have freshwater for a couple of years beforehand, but as long as you research and are willing to stick to hardy marine species like the blue damsel, tank raised clownfish, etc. you might be okay but instead of a 10 gallon, I would go with a minimum of 29-30 gallons for your first tank. Can you tell me why?
sennet
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! Yeah 10 gallons is probably too small for any medium sized fish, but I think my parents want me to prove I am disciplined enough to take care of a 30-60 gallon tank. After this though I'm sure I can convince them to let me atleast get a 30 gallon. Thanks again!
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If parents are an issue in not being able to get a bigger tank, show them all the research you've done and why you need a bigger tank in order to be successful in your new hobby. Or maybe you can strike a deal with them that if you can care for freshwater fish for pick-a-number months in the 10 G then they'll let you upgrade to a larger tank for a salt water set-up. If I were still your age and trying to convince my parents I'd pull out the fact that marine tanks are living art and you could put it in a central room for the whole family to enjoy.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had it to do all over again I would have never bought my first 10 gallon tank and would have gone straight to a larger tank but still would have started with freshwater, it is so much more forgiving than salt and will teach you to schedule time for all of the mainenance that is needed. Learn to drive the automatic before you go to the stick. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
If I had it to do all over again I would have never bought my first 10 gallon tank and would have gone straight to a larger tank but still would have started with freshwater, it is so much more forgiving than salt and will teach you to schedule time for all of the mainenance that is needed. Learn to drive the automatic before you go to the stick. Cool

Unrelated post, but I had to respond to your analogy. I just bought a new car and it's the first automatic (has sport tronic shift so it's still fun to drive!) I've had for awhile and my foot keeps reaching for the invisible clutch!
sennet
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.22(Tue)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my parents are OK with a bigger tank. Now I have one more beginner's question: Would it be better for me to buy a used setup with everything (I live in the orlando area, and a lot of people sell them on craigslist around here) for fairly cheap (right now, a 30 gallon setup for $100) or go ahead and spend a lot more on a new one I can be sure has no cracks or anything?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: