Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I think my blood shrimp just died. :(
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.18(Fri)0:04    Post subject: I think my blood shrimp just died. :( Reply with quote

I just got this blood shrimp about a week ago. I checked on my tank a couple hours ago and I could see my blood shrimp moving around in his cave in the rocks.

Two hours later and I find his body floating along the bottom of the tank.

Now I know that people might suggest this could be a molt, but he already molted last week (only a few days after getting him). And I'd seen his molted exoskeleton, so I have an idea what it looks like. And what I saw tonight looked like the shrimp itself, not a mere exoskeleton.

I scooped it up in a net to see if he'll move, but he didn't. I've still got the net floating in the water in case by some miracle he isn't dead. But he isn't at all responsive.

He hadn't shown any signs of illness or distress over the last week. He'd basically hide in his cave and go nuts any time I fed the tank with Cylcop-eeze.

The only thing that has changed recently, was I got my second coral yesterday (a plate coral). I realize that this coral does have stinging tentacles (albeit short tentacles), so could this coral have possibly killed him?

And my other two clearner shrimp that I had got with the blood shrimp are perfectly fine and active at the moment.

Here's the usual battery of tests:

temp: 81.5 F (a little higher than normal, but my usual range is 79-81 during this summer)
salinity: ~1.0235
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: ~5 ppm
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.18(Fri)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
I'm so sorry about your blood shrimp. Those are so beautiful and I know they aren't cheap either.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.18(Fri)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's definitely dead. Wasn't moving at all this morning, so I fished him out.

The LFS wasn't particularly helpful when I called them. I asked what could have happened and the guy merely told me, "well, they only live for about 3 years max... maybe it was just his time". Uh? Hello? I just bought him 9 days ago... Unless they are selling 3-year old shrimp.

Barby Girl, thanks. He was a neat shrimp to look at it and not cheap is right! Cost me $45. However, I was checking my receipt and I noticed when I originally bought everything that they had failed to charge me for the basslet (which was about $30). So I guess maybe this is karma at work?

At any rate, the cleaner shrimp and fish all seem fine for now. I'm going to keep a close eye on things for a couple weeks before I try adding anything else to the tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: