Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting back to tanks!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goby8Uup
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)19:57    Post subject: Getting back to tanks! Reply with quote

Hey, my name is James ( nickname is JD) yea I use to have a 75 gallon tank, but I was only 11 and I wasn't ready for it, now I'm 14 and I am ready! I gave away my 75 gallon tank along with an emperor filter, and some other penguin.... My dad is ready too now he has more time for it. So OK, I have tons and tons of rock and coral ready to go, and my uncle can give me live coral. I am looking to get a 75 gallon tank, probobly used and my dad can make sure it doesn't leak and he can fix it if it does, not a problem. I have now a ehiem 2127 canister filter, but I need to know what else I need to make my tank ready for nice coral. Can someone explain to me what a UV stelerilzer is, and what the importance is, and also tell me what a protein skimmer does, UV lighting, I pretty much need someone to go over the basics with me and I will get it all covered. I was thinking about getting 2 more filter, probobly 1 power filter (emperer 500 I think) and another filter just to make sure everything is good. I also need advice on those bubbler things. Thanks a lot everyone I am looking forward to meeting you all!
James
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbler things...? Hmmm...
Well if you want to keep live coral you will be spending a fair amount of money, and the LAST place you want to skimp is on the tank itself, so BUY A NEW TANK.
Repairing a leak is easy, but replacing your dead animals and live rock will not be.
Based on the nature of your comments and questions, take my free advice and make your first purchase a good book, you have a lot of research to do, and it will be worth your while. The details of reef keeping are going to demand a good amount of reading and this will be better then "bits and pieces" of info on a forum. By the way, you may consider starting with hardy marine fish and crustaceans for a year or so before attempting live corals, just a thought.
Wishing you all the best...
brianD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

read... read and read some more. you will never learn enough and no one is an expert, basically you will never stop learning. do not buy cheap equipment. spend the money and get a good skimmer. I would suggest starting on a basic live rock with fish tank first. learn how to maintain water quality and then get into the better lighting, and corals. you may be able to manage some zoo's with decent lighting on the tank. for some reasons just the fact that your looking at a bigger tank it will be easier. the volume of water will help large swings in water parameters. in example, one drop of something bad in a 10 gallon tank is obviously a greater problem then if it were one drop in a 75 gallon tank. get a book, do some reading, search topics of interest, make a list of what you want and take what you can into your tank.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, research as much as you possible can. Check out your local library and see if they have any relatively up-to-date (I.e. less than 5 years old) books on marine aquarium keeping. Avoid any books that are too old (I.e. 10+ years) as they probably have out-of-date information.

For online stuff, I recommend starting with [url=http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1&page=1]So, you want to start a Marine tank
Goby8Uup
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.18(Fri)9:54    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

hey guys you really are helping me, I appreciate it. So I guess its time to start reading! any adivse though on another goiod filter to get on top of my canister filter? I'm a little ocd about the filtration thing. OK MY CAPS LOCK won't TURN OFF NOW... THANKS A LOT ILL TRY AND FIX MY KEYBOARD HAHA
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: