Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
'nother identification
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)13:58    Post subject: 'nother identification Reply with quote

I have two things I'm wondering on. I have some deep dark maroon algae that appears hard, but comes out of the LR like grass, is it good algae or bad? I can get a pic if it doesn't ring anyone's bells, but I'm at work now and thought you guys might now.
The second one I attempted to get a pic last night, but it didn't work. It's a bright green polyp-y looking thing, very small. Looks like just the stem part of the green star polyps that Dale helped me identify, but it has no "fingers." They fade out and kinda "shrink" when the lights are out, and then after the lights have been on for a short time, they swell up and look like little pickles. There is no hole on them so I don't think they are sponges.
OH, and I had some luck finding out what the last identity crisis I had was. The long THIN worms, I'm pretty sure were spaghetti worms.
Thanks in advance!
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deep red turf stuff is usually referred to as turf algae...nothing eats it and it very hard to kill. This pic is from my tank and it looks purple but that is from the lights. This is a large pic which is why it is linked.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/sirreal63/algaeIDrs.jpg

Does the green stalk algae look like this?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11194new_TANG_W_1.jpg

If so it can grow to look like this and consume your tank.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11194new_tank_in_green.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red stuff looks like that. Is it harmful? because I think it's pretty as long as it's not going to choke out the coralline.

The other pictures didn't come through, it said reef central does not support hot links. Does it sound like the green stuff is an algae? None of the other algaes I have had so far have faded/shrunk when the lights are out, that's why I thought it might be something similiar to the green star polyps.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red stuff isn't harmful but it will wipe out the coraline where it is allowed to grow. I have noticed a correlation between magnesium and the red turf, if the mag, calcium and alk are kept high it doesn't grow. This red turf algae prefers clean water too, unlike other algaes which like lots of nutrients.

this is the original thread for the green algae...if the link will work.
You can always search topic 899257 on reefcentral
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=899257
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Barby Girl
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUCK on the green algae! I'm going to keep my eyes on them both for now. At this time both are just on one rock each. I noticed my new damsel biting at the turf stuff a little, but I think it was a curiosity thing not an eating thing. I've been pretty conservative with the tank supplements, using less then recommended dosage as there isn't much in there, but I'm going to go up to full dosage and see if that does anything
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: