Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My favorite fish CUT OPEN by plant roots!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.31(Thu)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say this story belongs in then tales section, that would be a story!
scrkpr
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.31(Thu)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might also suggest daily cleaning the wound with peroxide or iodine and then spreading some triple antibiotic ointment over the wound, That's what I do for my goldies when they get an ulcer. It works great but you do have to take them out of the tank and be careful not to get the ointment into their gills or eyes. The Melafix should speed healing and stop a secondary infection but with a deep gash like that I would take more invasive measures...at least with my favorite fish. I hope he geats better. Smile
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.09.01(Fri)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another photo, taken today. Isn't it remarkable how fast the dorsal fin is growing back!
I have to say, I'm impressed with the regeneration powers of these creatures.
He loves his den, bless him! I hate to follow him around with the camera, and if I didn't wholeheartedly believe in the value of this story for the Disasters archive, I'd leave him in peace!

Deborah Very Happy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.30(Sat)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deborah,

How's your fish doing? Have you gotten a good look at its belly to see if it is closed yet?

~Haname
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.30(Sat)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive injury wow! I can't even imagine what you're first impression was when you saw it. My mercy for the fish is yours Laughing .
It's very clear hes recovering because of the high quality environment you give them I would think, he has no fungus from any pictures or excessive bleeding. Oh yeah he's lucky to have you in this case Wink
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.10.07(Sat)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts for Mac. Very Happy I have tried very hard to keep pristine conditions throughout this crisis, which is very hard with fish that like to dig and throw sand around and eat wood. It's tough!

Anyway, despite watching and waiting patiently, I can not get a photo of Mac on the glass, which means the condition of his undersides is still a mystery. However, I did get this shot, which shows his
left side has healed beautifully:

This photo shows that the scutes have grown over the former white abraded area, and have resumed their natural pattern and coloration. As well as that, the slash across the top of the head (as seen in the early photos on this thread) has healed over, and you'd have a hard time finding where it used to be. This, above anything, makes me think the slash to the underside has healed, too. Perhaps all the way.

I probably won't have a chance to know for sure until I set-up the 90 gallon that I'm getting next summer. At that time, I'll have to capture him in order to move him to the new tank. I will be sure to take photos and record everything. I'm as curious as you are!

Deborah Very Happy
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.10.07(Sat)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! He looks fabulous!
Phew!!! Congrats on the good doctoring, well done.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.07(Sat)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deborah, feel free to post updates for as long as you like, and then let me know when you consider this topic "wrapped up"...I think we should then move it to the Best of the Board forum. Cool

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.08(Sun)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear he's OK now Smile. The treatment you gave him and his recovery obviously shows your skill as a fishkeeper Smile.
jtg90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.14(Sat)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANG! I thought for sure that mac was going to be dead by the end of the story! Very impressive fish!!

jtg
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: