Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I want a sump but tank isn't drilled.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aquaseafoam
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.15(Tue)10:07    Post subject: I want a sump but tank isn't drilled. Reply with quote

I am getting ready to set up my 29 gallon. I have a 20 long I can use as a sump but I'm not sure how to set it up.
Is it possible to get it to work without drilling the tank?
Is it easier/safer (as in water overflow accidents) to have a drilled tank?
Should I just go ahead and get it drilled now and then I can figure out how to plumb it later?
Thanks for any advice, or links that clearly show a sump system without a drilled tank!
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.15(Tue)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to or can't drill just get a Overflow box. As long as you don't over fill your sump an overflow or drilled tank shouldn't flood. Just make sure the amount of water that would move to the sump incase of a power outage won't overflow the sump. a lot of people mark a line on their sump as the max height you should put it at. Any higher than that mark and water from the top tank would overflow it if there is a power outage.

overflow box

http://home.search.ebay.com/overflow-box_Pet-Supplies_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ1281QQxpufuZx
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.17(Thu)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion get an external overflow, way beter than an overflow box. just get a small notch cut out from the top of your tank and literaly build a glass box around it with a hole in the bottom piece to fit the bulkhead. you can do it with the tank fully running, I have seen pictures of people doing it.

andrew
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.08.22(Tue)1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question would be why you don't wish to drill the tank?
If it's price; most store bought overflow setups I have seen run at least $50 while I can get a 1" hole drilled and the PVC bulkhead fitting for about $40.
The main drawback to a HOB external overflow box is the risk of it losing its syphon effect. If that occurs the return pump will pump the sump into the display and possibly overflow it.
This link has a section titled "sump calculations" that shows you how to avoid that. http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29175&highlight=

Good luck.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: